Prefered wiring for a strat

• Members

Two necessary (for me) Strat mods:

1) Replace stock pickguard with custom two-knob 'guard (master volume, master tone), centered between where the original three were.

2) Push/pull volume pot that turns on the bridge pickup in any switch position.

Now you have realistic volume and tone controls, no inadvertant volume changes, and the option of bridge/neck and all three pickups on.

Still---I'll have the Tele (with a 4-way) ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

1) Replace stock pickguard with custom two-knob 'guard (master volume, master tone), centered between where the original three were.

Now you have realistic volume and tone controls, no inadvertant volume changes, and the option of bridge/neck and all three pickups on.

Still---I'll have the Tele (with a 4-way)
;)

even better, do the master vol/master tone mod, then get a rotary on/off switch for the 3rd "tone" control to activate the bridge pickup. looks 100% stock.

• Members
Originally posted by TweedBassman

even better, do the master vol/master tone mod, then get a rotary on/off switch for the 3rd "tone" control to activate the bridge pickup. looks 100% stock.

Yeah, but then it's in the way of my wildly flailing pickin' hand ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Still---I'll have the Tele (with a 4-way)
;)

That sounds good... I don't suppose anyone manufactures pickguards like that, do they?

• Members

Great Poll,

I like the idea of having a global volume and and global tone control, with a fiveway switch. The idea of a push/pull knob so you can bring in the bridge pickup anytime is also a good idea. Also, I think a Tele pickup in the neck would be good, so you could have a tele sound in the neck position.

Peace,

John

• Members

Originally posted by danbomb

Move the tone control from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup

:idea:

+1: did that with one of my strats.

minimum fix: (other strat), solder a small jumper from tone lug for middle p/u over to bridge--that way you have tonal control over ALL p/u's.

I find this to be "warmer" for bridge p/u...takes more of the icePick tone away.

Archived