So theres a 5150 on my local CL for $460 w/ an ISP Decimator...

CptMcKay

• Members

I might have to man, haha.

I've been wanting to try a 5150 out for a while, but VHT Deliverances have been giving me a boner lately, too.

I'd take that Deliverance over a 5150 any day!

The only reason I'd take this deal is to flip it!!! :thu:

• Members

{censored} MY GAS.

I'LL BE PUTTING THE 3120 UP FOR SALE TOMORROW AFTER WORK WHEN I CAN TAKE SOME DECENT PICTURES.

damn peer pressure...

You can get an XXX (now called the 3120) sounding close to 5150, for what it's worth. I had an XXX for a long time and have owned a few 5150s. Last year, when I had the XXX, I picked up a 5150 for $380, but ended up returning it because I could get my XXX to sound similar enough to it.

The key, I think, was that the XXX/3120 responds very well to tube changes. I had a Tung Sol RI in V1, an NOS EI in V2, a high gain JJ in V3, and a Sovtek LPS for phase inverter. I was using Mullard EL34s, properly biased, for power tubes. (I think the XXX is better with EL34s.) In loose mode and on the crunch channel, with these tubes, I could get about 80-90% of the way toward what I'd consider the 5150 sound. Like I said, it was close enough that I decided to return the 5150.

By the way, will this be your only amp? Are you going to have to sell the 3120 to afford the 5150? Can you live without a real clean channel? [insert big conversation about how to get decent cleans from the 5150 here.] Do you mind having shared EQ for both channels?

Archived