Has anyone FJA modded a Peavey Valveking?

Syyle

• Members

I am pretty satisfied so far with the amp. But I feel like with just a little bit of custom help it could be pushed to sound like an amp 3 times it's worth.

If you've had it modded, what'd you have done it, how much did it cost, and what type of music do you play that warranted the mods?

Thanks.

• Members

from your responses, i think i was misjudging the cost of a mod...i was imagining it being somewhere in the 200-300 range.

i bought this amp used and in great condition for 350...so i figured 600-700 total wasn't too bad.

alrighty, guess i will just save up for a better amp. any recommendations? i am looking for a heavy, saturated, warm, hi gain amp that has clarity, and it needs a serial FX loop (not parallel).

• Members

different strokes for different folks...?

after spending a lot of time with it, and assessing all the tweak-ability to it, i was able to dial a pretty good hi gain sound. :shrug:

They are ok amps, they get teh job done, and they are tube, so yes they do sound good. Which model do you have? The three suggestions I have made, they do make quite a difference. Have you already tried these? You basically just have to weigh if these things are worth it vs upgrading... If you want metal high-gain sounds, definitely look at the 6505.

-D

• Members

Really? interesting.......very interesting. how is the hi gain sound on those 6505s from anyone's experience? i may go down and play 1 at guitar center or something soon.

then i may keep my valveking as a backup...can't really sell it as it's my only amp.

• Members

i don't think the universe wants me to know whether this thing has a serial or parallel FX loop...no where on google can I find this information. this is all that is on Peavey's website:

"Switchable post-EQ effects loop"

Archived