Just got back from playing a Mark V for an hour and a half.

riffy

• Members

I really hate it. It does not sound as good as a Mark IV by any means.

The IIC+ mode sounds nothing like the IIC+ I owned at all. The cleans

are ok. Adding chorus to them really helped out.

All and all, I found it a lackluster amplifier to me anyway.

Gary

• Members

I really hate it. It does not sound as good as a Mark IV by any means.

The IIC+ mode sounds nothing like the IIC+ I owned at all. The cleans

are ok. Adding chorus to them really helped out.

All and all, I found it a lackluster amplifier to me anyway.

Gary

Fanboi's will attack u

• Members

Sounds like you really wanted to like it. Maybe the ease of the AxeFX has jaded you on real amps.

I really did want to like it. I had played a combo before, but to be honest,

I don't really like any Mark combos so I didn't think that was a fair test of the amp. This time it was a head through 3 different cabs. I didn't like it with any of them. I really did want to like it.

I loved my 2C+ and yes, it was the graphic model. I had high hopes for this mode on the MarkV. It just wasn't even close to my ears.

I don't think the Axe-FX has jaded me yet. I still love my Recto and 5150.

Gary

• Members

Interesting. Whilst I've never owned or played a Mesa, I really like the tone (big Petrucci fan), and the Mark V from what I've heard sounds really good. Certainly nothing to complain too much about to my ears.

Having said that though, I really like the channel 2 on Mark I mode best, and the cleans sound a lot better to my ears than the IV... But I can't see myself owning one any time soon. They cost a bomb over here and actually, particularly at the moment, a Mesa wouldn't be very useful to me. Way too much amp for any application that I could put it to at the moment, and actually, not very suitable for much of what I do....

Still, cool to hear your thoughts. :thu:

• Members

That could be why you weren't liking the IIC+ mode. It was based off of a non-GEQ version. Did you get a chance to read the manual at all? That has a ton of useful info on dialing it in properly. The Mark V is a very sensative amp to where the knobs are, and in relation to each other and such

• Members

Well, it must have been a long time since you've played a Mark. They are flat out stiff amps compared to said Recto and 5150.

It has been 4 or 5 years since I let the IIC+ go. I have played a few MarkIIIs since then, and I do like those. They aren't that stiff feeling to me. I could easily play on the C+ or the IV. I just didn't gel with the V at all though. I

also don't think that the knob interaction is much different than the IV. You do have to dial it in a bit differently but by and large, the interaction between knobs is still the same.

I didn't know that the IIC+ mode was based off of a non-eq IIC+ though. That seems rather stupid as the graphic eq model is the one that is highly sought after and not the non-eq model.

• Members

Eh I wouldn't exactly say theres been a fanboy attack. Maybe one comment, idk. I certainly hope my commentary hasn't been viewed as an attack. Different people have different tastes in amp, plain and simple. Me? I love my Mark V, but I don't expect everyone else to

I was surprised when I read that IIC+ mode was based on the non-geq version as well, but the manual has a pretty lengthy write up explaining why they did that. In the end, to sum it up, it was because the guy who designed that part or whatever preferred his non GEQ IIC+ to his ones with the GEQ

• Members

That is because every one knows mesa's are {censored}.

Buy a Marshall
:p

I don't even own a Mesa anymore but if they are so {censored} why does the :snax: model their amps? :idea::cop:

J/k....people have their ways :p

• Members

No,

Personally, I think Mesa makes great amps. I LOVE the Recto series. Road Kings, Tremo-Verbs and Rectos. I dig the Mark IV and II+. The Lone Star

is killer as were the DC series.

I just couldn't bond with the MarkV. Simply not my personal style. For others they may well be GREAT. JP is sounding great with his. Me? Not so much.

Gary

• Members

I've never played through a Mark series but I figure you buy one of those and you better give it a few gigs and weeks before you make up your mind. The DR I had took me awhile to get the most out of it ( in the end an eq pedal and TS9 really did the trick.)

I'm not a tweaker so an AxeFX and a Mark do not interest me. I'd settle for way less amp ..... like a 5150 or even a DR..... just for simplicity sake. I fail.......

• Members

That is because every one knows mesa's are {censored}.

Buy a Marshall
:p

I dont disagree with this statement but man Mesa's are built for abuse. 8 years and countless gigs and never a problem. Love my Splawn tone WAY better but had trouble with my QR in the first month. There is a lot to be said for reliability and biasing convenience.

JVM's look like the knobs and footswitch needed replaced before you take it home from the store.

Archived