Marshall jvm 410 or egnater tourmaster??

seantz

• Members

My only amp currently is a vox ac15c1 and although it's a nice sounding little amp I want to get a head again. I have both of these amps available to me locally and could get either one in trade. My strat and vox for the marshall or just my strat for the tourmaster. If you had the choice which of these two amps would you choose and why. What are the pluses minuses of each? I like the fact that both seem like do it all type amps. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. Oh yeah I have a Genz Benz G-Flex cab which I'll most likely be using with whatever I get if that helps at all.

• Members

Haven't played the Egnater,but did own the JVM based on reviews.

Only bit of advice would be to never buy an amp without playing it at gig volume.

After a few months of tweaking,changing valves,a couple of mods etc I sold the JVM and now have a DSL50 and Vintage Modern 2266 and loving both amps.

Many people rave about the JVM but I just didn't like it.I'm more than happy with the two heads I have now that a lot of people hate so it does go to show you really can't just rely on internet reviews.

Having said that the line out on the JVM sounds fantastic!

• Members

I can only vote for the Tourmaster because I haven't tried the JVM, but I liked the TM a lot. Very good sounding and versatile. Sounds great loud and quiet.

The only bad things about the Tourmaster are the heavy weight, useless Contour control and the reverb could use a bit more level.

I sold mine after getting the Axe-Fx since I could get extremely similar tones with the Egnater Rebel 20 model in the Axe-Fx.

• Members

I didn't like the Tourmaster head that I tried out. I liked the clean but I couldn't get a nice overdriven sound. The head I was trying died after about 5 minutes and I had to finish testing with the combo version of the Tourmaster.

The guys at Egnater said that the Tourmaster is special for guitar center and that they did the design but are not involved with production or service for those things.

Max

• Members

I didn't like the Tourmaster head that I tried out. I liked the clean but I couldn't get a nice overdriven sound. The head I was trying died after about 5 minutes and I had to finish testing with the combo version of the Tourmaster.

The guys at Egnater said that the Tourmaster is special for guitar center and that they did the design but are not involved with production or service for those things.

Max

There was apparently a {censored}ty run shipped to Guitar Centers. After that they did a modded version that should have a tighter overdrive and work better. I had the modded version.

They're not a special for Guitar Center, they are sold in many stores in Europe. May be an exclusive deal for GC in the US though?

The Tourmasters are made in China, but from what I can tell the quality is good, couldn't notice anything sloppy on the outside and on the inside it's no worse than a typical UK made Marshall.

• Members

I played the tourmaster, and heard the JVM live. JVM was awesome. From Pantera to GNR it nailed every sound. The tourmaster just seemed muddy to me. I wanted to like it but something was off about it.

edit. just read the other post above. This tourmaster was at a GC about two years ago, so it could have been a bad one.:confused:

• Members

Haven't played the Egnater,but did own the JVM based on reviews.

Only bit of advice would be to never buy an amp without playing it at gig volume.

After a few months of tweaking,changing valves,a couple of mods etc I sold the JVM and now have a DSL50 and Vintage Modern 2266 and loving both amps.

Many people rave about the JVM but I just didn't like it.I'm more than happy with the two heads I have now that a lot of people hate so it does go to show you really can't just rely on internet reviews.

Having said that the line out on the JVM sounds fantastic!

I've actually owned the DSL 50 several times now and have also owned a DSL 100. I did like the VM when I played it as well. Right now I'm looking for something w multiple channels so I can get all of my sounds out of one amp. For what it's worth I've owned a Dual Rec, 3120, 6505, ENGL Fireball, and a VHT D60 in the last two years. I'm not really looking for any one great sound but an amp that'll do a lot of things well. I'm liking the ideal of the versatility of the JVM. I'm probably gonna go that route meeting up to make the deal Sunday. Also w the Egnater I'm a little worried I'll have a much harder time moving it if I don't bond w it after a while...

• Members

My only amp currently is a vox ac15c1 and although it's a nice sounding little amp I want to get a head again. I have both of these amps available to me locally and could get either one in trade. My strat and vox for the marshall or just my strat for the tourmaster. If you had the choice which of these two amps would you choose and why. What are the pluses minuses of each? I like the fact that both seem like do it all type amps. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. Oh yeah I have a Genz Benz G-Flex cab which I'll most likely be using with whatever I get if that helps at all.

What music do you play?

• Members

I've actually owned the DSL 50 several times now and have also owned a DSL 100. I did like the VM when I played it as well. Right now I'm looking for something w multiple channels so I can get all of my sounds out of one amp. For what it's worth I've owned a Dual Rec, 3120, 6505, ENGL Fireball, and a VHT D60 in the last two years. I'm not really looking for any one great sound but an amp that'll do a lot of things well. I'm liking the ideal of the versatility of the JVM. I'm probably gonna go that route meeting up to make the deal Sunday. Also w the Egnater I'm a little worried I'll have a much harder time moving it if I don't bond w it after a while...

Well for versatility you just can't beat the JVM,I did love the fact you can have a clean,crunch,overdrive and metal channel.And have three stages of gain for each channel with separate eq,so you have a lot of control over how each channel would sound.As I said the line out is great,as was the clean.Also with two master volumes you could have a boost setup.But for all that versatility the tone did suffer a bit to me but you can't have everything.If you wan't a do-it-all amp the JVM is hard to beat,like I said it wasn't for me because I'd rather have one good sound rather than a lot of ok ones.

But then again a 'good' sound is so subjective and if you've already tried the amps I have and didn't like them,you might like the JVM!

I didn't mention before that I like classic rock,not really into modern or metal so that's probably important to take into consideration.There seems to be a lot of metal players here so that's more than likely why it gets a lot of love here.Also I haven't even heard the tourmaster,or know any of its features.

It wasn't right for me as I didn't need that much versatility(I stayed on channel three,orange 90% of the time) and was worried if something went wrong it would be tricky to find the fault.As I was only really needing one,maybe two channels,I thought I'd be better off putting that money on features that would suit me.

Yep you can defo sell a Marshall used a lot easier,that's true!

• Members

I'm not really looking for any one great sound but an amp that'll do a lot of things well. I'm liking the ideal of the versatility of the JVM.

I preferred the JMP-1 for "versatile marshall tones" to the JVM.

Like Fretty, I wanted to like the JVM, but it was never quite "there", and now I also have a Vintage Modern (2466 though).

I do play more modern stuff, and I actually came from a whole line of MIDI-controlled amps before that because I thought I needed many channels for all my "sounds". Now I realize I just want an amp that I enjoy playing, whether that is versatile or not.

What my advice boils down to: try the JVM, honestly. You'll find if you "gel" with the amp within minutes. If you do, great, you've found your amp. If you don't, don't give in to the temptation to get it anyway because you MAY find your sound in there later.

• Members

I haven't played either but I would seriously take this as main advice.

I actually played both the same day in the same store, same guitars. I like a lot of egnaters stuff, but this just seemed disappointingly "cheap" sounding to me. The JVM really surprised me. I've owned plexis, 800's, jcm 2000's, etc. and it's certainly not as good as each of those, but it surprisingly close in the overall sound (and will not murder your ears if you dont need it to like a plexi will). Respectively speaking, it's a great amp if you need what it's got to offer.

• Members

Off topic,then back on at the end but it's all relative:thu:

I was watching 'Get your buzz on live' DVD by Chickenfoot earlier.Really liked the album so it would be good to see satch rip the {censored} out of it live,and he didn't disappoint.

What surprised me was the level of energy,stage presence and sense of fun they were having.You can kinda tell by the album that they were having a good time recording,but I wasn't ready for the level of enthusiasm,but in a laid-back way.....hard to explain maybe there are some clips on youtube.It inspired me to get off my arse and crank up the VM!

If you ever want to see how to perform live or what chemistry is in a band,I'd recommend this DVD.But only if you like the album as they play the whole thing,and I've heard it's not for everyone.

Anyway,back on topic.:cop:

The only reason I came back to this thread;guess what satch is playing through?

JVM 2 channel and a vintage modern.It sounded quite nice actually,not to my taste but it suits him well and {censored} me,he knows how to rip it up!Nice tone but a little harsh for what I like,so maybe that can put my opinions/tastes in amps in perspective.

• Members

Since i play prog metal, metal, and hard rock much more than I play cleaner stuff, I'd go with the JVM. The Tourmaster seemed really lacking to me in the higher gain side. (I've spent about an hour on it at high volume, so please give my opinion appropriate weight or lack thereof.)

I was initially disappointed with the JVM. But every time I play one, I like them a little more. That said, it wouldn't be my first choice for an amp.

• Members

I dunno. Does the Tourmaster do anything better than the JVM? If not, then it doesn't matter.

I've never even heard of the tourmaster,let alone know what it's good at.So finding out what music he's into would help me advise if the JVM's any good for that style,if you see what I mean.

Archived