Supposin' I had roughly $3k...

Tubes In a Hat

• Members

The cleans and high gains are very easy to find on my Mark IV, but the medium gain stuff will take quite a bit of tweaking to get right. I imagine the mark V would be easier, but I haven't tried one personally. So far I'm so happy with my Mark IV that I won't even bother checking out the V. And if the V is supposed to be like the IV but much more, then my vote goes to the V.

Some IV owners claim that the IV has a better lead channel than the V. I'm not sure myself. I haven't played them side by side, but I have noticed that you need to dial in more pre-EQ bass on the V than on the IV.

Channel 2 of the Mark V is really good. It has three modes, and can be dialed in for pushed cleans, Voxy grit, Marshall plexi tones, Mark I smooth leads, or even brutal metal. With an overdrive handy, you can do even more with this channel.

• Members

If your gonna pick the V, definitely consider the IV.

I voted for the SLO, because I currently have gas for one.

Here is a suggestion I thought was pretty fitting, maybe a bit too smooth/buttery for you but I love it:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bogner-Ecstasy-101B-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-with-EL34s?sku=582961

but then you said no german...

Marshall JVM or Randal MTC would be other considerations.

• Members

Yeah, while I don't go around suggesting it for everyone, if you want real versatility, I'd probably look into an Axe-FX rig. Stuff like the Mesa Marks and Road King are versatile, but they're not going to sound like several different amps in one. Maybe they can get a somewhat in the direction of various different amps, but if you really want to be able to go from modded Marshall to full on modern high gain to a light (Vox-y?) overdrive or whatever, I'd say go for an Axe FR rig. If you want a versatile Recto though, get the Road King. If you want the Mark sound, get the Mark V, etc. etc. etc. They all might be somewhat/quite flexible, but at the end of the day they primarily do their own sound. :idk:

Or just run several amps. :idk:

Or start putting together a big rack rig. :idk:

• Members

SpiderValve MkII

Some laugh at that, but we were at a show this weekend by the beach and this cover band guitarist had one with the shortboard. It sounded really good both FOH and near the stage. They did a lot of 80's metal and STP, Staind, LP and a Metallica tune. Then they switched up to some Journey for the ladies in bikinis. Good band! One of the better shows me and my wife had seen. Cheap rig but it sounded really good.

• Members

Some IV owners claim that the IV has a better lead channel than the V. I'm not sure myself. I haven't played them side by side, but I have noticed that you need to dial in more pre-EQ bass on the V than on the IV.

Channel 2 of the Mark V is really good. It has three modes, and can be dialed in for pushed cleans, Voxy grit, Marshall plexi tones, Mark I smooth leads, or even brutal metal. With an overdrive handy, you can do even more with this channel.

Yeah I've been hearing this too, but I think it's because people were expecting too much from the mkV release and were let down slightly. I personally wouldn't mind owning a mkV, however.

For a solo tone, I prefer the amps natural tone without the GEQ. I think it has a perfect balance across the tone spectrum because I don't like having loads of bass when playing leads. I use the GEQ for a slightly more aggressive tone for heavy rhythms. I never really scoop the mids with the GEQ like most people do with their "V patterns". To my ears, I like the mids almost at the halfway mark, and a nudge lower for a subtle 'scoop'.

I would love to have a "voxy grit" on my amp. I think I will try to get this tone with rhy2 when I get my amp all put together.

• Members

Yeah I've been hearing this too, but I think it's because people were expecting too much from the mkV release and were let down slightly. I personally wouldn't mind owning a mkV, however.

For a solo tone, I prefer the amps natural tone without the GEQ. I think it has a perfect balance across the tone spectrum because I don't like having loads of bass when playing leads. I use the GEQ for a slightly more aggressive tone for heavy rhythms. I never really scoop the mids with the GEQ like most people do with their "V patterns". To my ears, I like the mids almost at the halfway mark, and a nudge lower for a subtle 'scoop'.

I would love to have a "voxy grit" on my amp. I think I will try to get this tone with rhy2 when I get my amp all put together.

BTW, I saw your thread with the headbox and stuff. That's gonna be one sweet head:thu:

Archived