OT: Cheap way to kill a lot of grass?

Crunchtime

• Members

Really, fire is sounding better and better all the time.

But I do understand why it isn't a viable option. Damn.....

Fire does not kill grass below the soil. People outside the city limits do controlled burns every spring. It does not kill the grass. Also, I'm just inside the city limits.

• Members

Go to your local gin and ask for generic round-up. I can't remember the name of the stuff. It runs around 50 for a big jug. Mix about 20 oz. to 4 or 5 gal. of water in a backpack sprayer. Lay it down thick and in a couple of days it will start to die. Only spray if the weather is going to be dry and hot for a couple of days.

• Members
I need to kill a very large patch of grass and need to be frugal. Round Up is not an option. I'm thinking a pump up sprayer and 5 gallons of diesel. Please don't call the EPA on me.
:facepalm:

Please don't call the EPA on me

I'm right here :facepalm:

• Members

Mix up salt and water and spray it pretty heavily. You will see the grass dying in a day or two. It works best if it hasn't rained in a day or two and there is no rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

I killed about a 1/4 of grass / weeds this way last year and it worked great. I used a bag of rock salt.

• Members

Well...cut it to length by hand if you can`t do it with anything else and leave what you cut there.Also, when you`re mowing the rest of your lawn spread the mowed grass across the spots you don`t want to cut regularly...also, if you have trees nearby or in the yard, dump the dry leaves on that patch of grass.Spread everything around so you get a carpet over it, that will suffocate the grass and you won`t have to cut it it won`t grow anymoer.You can use wood chips too i suppose and a variety of organic waste from your yard like pine needles, etc.

Archived