OT: Please advise me on this computer for price/performance.

Chrisjd

• Members

• Members

It seems a little steep, even with that monitor. For example, I just bought this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/9963692.p?id=1218202474716&skuId=9963692&st=tower&cp=1&lp=11

Which is *almost* what you've indicated there...processor is a tiny bit better, and it has 500 gig extra hard drive space, plus the monitor. BUT, if you've already got a decent monitor, like I did, you can just buy the system.

• Members

inb4_all_the_comp_tech_geeks_tell_you_that_you're_wasting_your_$$$_and_you_should_just_build_your_own even though you don't wan't to go through the time and hassle to assemble it and such.

time and hassle? i could get a pc built and all the wiring neatly tied up and out of the way and up to installation of the os within an hour. please.

• Members

time and hassle? i could get a pc built and all the wiring neatly tied up and out of the way and up to installation of the os within an hour. please.

This...it really isnt hard, and its sort of fun.

Not to mention you can get a beast machine for the same price as a mediocre package from costco etc.

8GB RAM is pretty useless tbh with you...

• Members

Yeah, you most likely don't need 8GB unless you're doing some really RAM intensive stuff.

I mean, you wouldn't have to worry about getting more ever, so there's that. But 8GB is pretty much overkill. :lol:

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'm one of the build it yourself kinda guys cause I know the quality of parts that are in it, but hey, for a prebuilt system, that seems like it should do pretty much whatever you want.

I'd go with the pricier one if you are going to buy prebuilt. The better processor, more RAM, and 500gigs of HD space are probably worth the money.

Hmmm..... the i7 860 processor is about $300 just by itself. Its a quad core vs. the i3 being a 2 core.

Check this out, smaller HD, but better fx card. Might not have as good of sound, but better sound cards are cheaper than better video cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147177&cm_re=i7860-_-83-147-177-_-Product

• Members
I'm running 8 gigs of RAM...and yeah, it's a lot, but I would rather have it and not need it than vice versa.

*Predicts you will need it possibly in 2015* ;)

I understand the mentality. I only have 2 gig right now....and never max it out, but...I keep wanting to get another 2 gig "just in case." :lol:

• Members
Yeah, you most likely don't need 8GB unless you're doing some really RAM intensive stuff.

I mean, you wouldn't have to worry about getting more ever, so there's that. But 8GB is pretty much overkill.
:lol:

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'm one of the build it yourself kinda guys cause I know the quality of parts that are in it, but hey, for a prebuilt system, that seems like it should do pretty much whatever you want.

I'd go with the pricier one if you are going to buy prebuilt. The better processor, more RAM, and 500gigs of HD space are probably worth the money.

Hmmm..... the i7 860 processor is about $300 just by itself. Its a quad core vs. the i3 being a 2 core.

Check this out, smaller HD, but better fx card. Might not have as good of sound, but better sound cards are cheaper than better video cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147177&cm_re=i7860-_-83-147-177-_-Product

That's nice but can I get a sweet 25 inch monitor for $200.00?

Any other opinions?

Archived