Need Help With a Sound

Davage

• Members

First thread ever for me, so I'll try not to screw it up.

Anyway, I'm auditioning for a band, and thier sound is pretty modern...best I can describe is a lot of chug chug chug chords (dropped D of course). Not really Metal, but more like Creed or Breaking Benjamin stuff. I'm more of a classic rock guy, so I'm not quite sure how to get the right sound.

Yes, I will play with my equipment (musical, that is)...but I am looking for some advice.

As far as a guitar, I imagine one with hum-buckers would best, so I think my Carvin CT4 should be OK. I have a 5150 combo, which always seemed a little over the top for me...but I'm guessing that this may be a good amp for the sound. I also have an M-13 (which I usually play through a clean Line 6 or fender SS amp), so if you can suggest some settings on either (or anything for that matter), I would really appreciate it. -Thanks

• Members

I almost want to tell you to leave the effects board at home for the audition. If the music is riff based, they`re going to care more about how you blend with the other guys, and how solid your playing is. A lot of times, one ends up with tweaking to get the delay just right.

Maybe ask them specifically if they NEED effects, and if not, take the guitar, amp and a cable, and play your ass off!

Good luck:thu:

• Members

I almost want to tell you to leave the effects board at home for the audition. If the music is riff based, they`re going to care more about how you blend with the other guys, and how solid your playing is. A lot of times, one ends up with tweaking to get the delay just right.

Maybe ask them specifically if they NEED effects, and if not, take the guitar, amp and a cable, and play your ass off!

I'd agree, sound like a guitar => amp, with solid playing, type gig to me.

Humbucker guitar, 5150 green on green crunch, moderate gain and thick mids should do nicely.

• Members

This sounds like good advice. I thought i would just use the M13 for a few O/Ds, but I agree that I will probably focus too much on that and not enough on playing well.

Thanks for the input from all...and a new amp is not in the budget right now, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Members

Yeah man, your 5150 combo will be just fine for this purpose...gigging and otherwise, if they want you in. I have mine setup on the rhythm channel, crunch button in, pre on 8, lows at 6-7, mids at 3-4, his at 5, presence at 5, resonance at 6-7. If you cant hear yourself, turn the mids up a bit and you should be set. My favorite amp of all time, so far.

And yeah, it sounds like you wont need effects for this audition.

Archived