• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

drop in KT88s.

Somebody should check if the power transformer

a) gets hot after a while

b) the supply voltages for the heaters (3.15 - 0 - 3.15) go down

I'm asking because a 6L6GC eats 0.9A/tube - a KT88 1.6A - thats 0.7x4=2.8A more sucked off the power transformer . . .

• Members

IMO the clean channel is clean as can be on my HDM. It's not as clean as that of my renegade but it's still epic loud before it starts to break up if the gain/volume are set right. I was impressed.

I need to go back and double check that the standard JCA100 can do this. All the preamp tubes are ruby HG's.

• Members

so the clean/crunch mod switches between the values of 39k(crunch) and 68k(clean) for the resistor that goes to ground (R7 in the SLO100 schematic) right after the channel switch?

I have the 50H, would the bias current value of 70mA be the same for 6L6?

Oh congrats on the new amp and thanks in advance!

• Members

Of course it is clean with the gainpot between 1 and 3, Drew.

But if you want to have a wider spectrum of this channel, the little (SLO based) mod is useful, not a "must".

what do you mean by wider spectrum?

like more control of when the breakup in the sound occurs?

I typically run the actual volume level of the clean channel much higher than that of the lead channel and then use the preamp gain knob on the clean channel to bring the volume up.

I actually do the exact opposite of this on my Titan and it has the same SLO layout. :/

• Members

so the clean/crunch mod switches between the values of 39k(crunch) and 68k(clean) for the resistor that goes to ground (R7 in the SLO100 schematic) right after the channel switch?

I have the 50H, would the bias current value of 70mA be the same for 6L6?

Oh congrats on the new amp and thanks in advance!

1) there's no such switch in the 50H/100H, this mod switches from the R which is in front of the gainpot thru 68k to ground (the gainpot) - that reduces the amount of signal going further thru the amp and cleans it up

2) NO! 35mA - in a 50s amp each side of the output transformer is connecetd to just one tube, so with the shunt method (as described above) you are reading the idle current of ONE tube.

• Members
what do you mean by wider spectrum?

like more control of when the breakup in the sound occurs?

/

Yes.

I know what you mean about the different levels - I'm the opposite, gain often (both channels) 6-8 and then I adjust with the volume pots. I'm a typical three channel amp user, I never (except I had to) used single channel amps, worked with the volume pot or pedals (actually I dislike pedals except channel switches :D ).

• Members

Ahh I see, your mod replicates that switch by adding a 68k draining to ground just in front of the clean gain pot (500k pot at the gate of V1A)

Good thing I double check about the current value, thanks very much!

Can't wait to see the vid...

1) there's no such switch in the 50H/100H, this mod switches from the R which is in front of the gainpot thru 68k to ground (the gainpot) - that reduces the amount of signal going further thru the amp and cleans it up

2) NO! 35mA - in a 50s amp each side of the output transformer is connecetd to just one tube, so with the shunt method (as described above) you are reading the idle current of ONE tube.

• Members

Have a look at schematic heaven, there are schems of the Hotrod (=JCA) and the SLO, the SLO has it like this:

first coupling cap (22nF) into 2 resistors, one in front of each gainpot - with the manual switch(s) on the SLO the signal can be put thru another 470k in series and a 39k to ground (the second - bright - adds a 470pF cap to it if needed.
The HR is different: after the coupling cap straight thru one resistor (1M if I remember correctly) into the gainpot.

So I've just used a "poor man's version of a " Soldano feature into one of Soldano's (JCA) design.

• Members

Gotcha, on the SLO100 they split the 1k into 2 470k to accomodate the bright switch.

How about the depth mod, can I find the schematic somewhere?

Thanks,
M
PS: Tone is in the rat's poop :)

Have a look at schematic heaven, there are schems of the Hotrod (=JCA) and the SLO, the SLO has it like this:

first coupling cap (22nF) into 2 resistors, one in front of each gainpot - with the manual switch(s) on the SLO the signal can be put thru another 470k in series and a 39k to ground (the second - bright - adds a 470pF cap to it if needed.

The HR is different: after the coupling cap straight thru one resistor (1M if I remember correctly) into the gainpot.

So I've just used a "poor man's version of a " Soldano feature into one of Soldano's (JCA) design.

Archived