What single-channel amp can do this?

Shenaniganizer

• Members

Anyone got any more clips to back up their suggestions? :evil:

MadKeith, stfu! :lol: I don't know {censored} about Marshalls, to be rather honest. I figured if I went with dark voiced pickups and/or speakers, it'd help with darkening a Marshall.. :mad:

STILL no address to the Trainwreck thread I posted due to that one guy's suggestion about the Express clone..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR is hands-down the best amp I've yet played for going from great, sparkly cleans with a bit o' hair to a rock level of gain. Won't go all the way from clean to metal with a guitar-volume-knob twist, but definitely from clean to rawk, especially if you include switching pickups from singles to 'buckers along the way. :thu:

Example: Soundclick: Maz thru Greenbacks

• Members
MadKeith, stfu!
:lol:
I don't know {censored} about Marshalls, to be rather honest. I figured if I went with dark voiced pickups and/or speakers, it'd help with darkening a Marshall..
:mad:

Hahaha man, sorry :)
I LOVE that sound, or I wouldn't have exchanged my evil toaster (HD147) for a Marshall Vintage Modern, but dark is not something I'd call that amp, and like most good marshalls the tone controls are mostly for show.

You could try it with dark pups and speakers, and ride the "body" high and the "detail" low. Thick and dark, but then it doesn't clean up so well.

Hence my lack of "MRAHSALL VNITNAGE MORDEN!" posting in this thread :)

• Members

I'd probably just go with a darkly-voiced neck pup (or neck/middle if I were to use two singles) to bring things down when rolling back for the pseudo-clean, if I ever got a Marshall.

Still really considering the SL-X. But now that I know I COULD get a Deliverance for about the same price used as an SL-X.. Idk. :love: The possibilities make my penis hard.

You should ooze about the Vintage Modern in here anyway. :o I wanna know everything you can share! How's it sound with the sevens?

• Members

Shenaniganizer, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty certain a Deliverance is better made and better suited to seven string abuse compared to the SL-X. ;)

Only caveat is if you want a loop, you'll have to mod it. Also, I'm not indicating the SL-X can't do that, but it's just the Deliverance seems like what you're asking for.

EDIT: Deliverance 120 clips

More Deliverance 120 clips

Deliverance 60 clips

Tell me if I'm coming on a little strong. ;)

• Members
You should ooze about the Vintage Modern in here anyway.
:o
I wanna know everything you can share! How's it sound with the sevens?

I love it. With the detail way up and the body down, it's a very tight and quite bright amp - I tend to keep my highs and presence very low. It can do fast metal, no problem, when set like that, and it "barks" like a good marshall should. The sound is all in the mids though. It handles the low B fine too.

I rarely engage the mid-boost - it is too much for the pickups in my Universe, and it makes the amp a lot harder to clean up. In fact, with detail maxed, mid-boost in, mids turned up to max, the sound on the "low" dynamic range is already quite heavy :freak:.

What I like about this amp is that it's the first one where I've really started using the *neck* pickup for rhythm. It changes the voicing, taking some of the top end off, slightly rounder and thicker, and slightly less gain because of the pickup height and output. However, it doesn't get "nasal" or at least no more nasal than the typical Marshall sound on the bridge pickup :lol:.

It cleans up well from high(er) gain:
High dynamic range, mid boost off, mids up, bass off, high about 25%, presence around 50%. Detail at 66%, body at 33% (you need a bit of body for the clean sound). Roll off the volume to clean up to a typical, gritty marshall low-gain sound on the bridge or neck bucker. Switch to a coil-tapped bucker or the middle single coil for something that is pretty clean - play lightly on that and it's very clean.

Of course you can also use the dynamic range button on the footswitch for an even cleaner clean, but the volume change can be unpredictable and takes some getting used to.

Oh, and slam an SD-1 in front of it for solos. Fun fun fun.

• Members
MadKeithV mentioned the Marshall tone controls don't do much. VHT/Fryette tone controls are versatile without being a pita to dial in.
:o

You make it sound as if it's a bad thing.

There are no "bad settings" on a good marshall.

It just has only one good sound ;-)
Good for dummies like me.

• Members
Shenaniganizer, I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty certain a Deliverance is better made and better suited to seven string abuse compared to the SL-X.
;)

Only caveat is if you want a loop, you'll have to mod it. Also, I'm not indicating the SL-X can't do that, but it's just the Deliverance seems like what you're asking for.

EDIT:
Deliverance 120 clips

More Deliverance 120 clips

Deliverance 60 clips

Tell me if I'm coming on a little strong.
;)

Either you're awesome at guessing or you've paid attention to the times I've said that I'm no fan of boosting. Or using pedals. :idk:

Most people blow right {censored}ing past it.

But those sounded great. :love:

And MadKeith, that's awesome! Where you at? I wanna test that bitch. ;)

EDIT: {censored}ing Belgium. Never mind. :cry:

• Members
Either you're awesome at guessing or you've paid attention to the times I've said that I'm no fan of boosting. Or using pedals.
:idk:

Most people blow right {censored}ing past it.

But those sounded great.
:love:

And MadKeith, that's awesome! Where you at? I wanna test that bitch.
;)

EDIT: {censored}ing Belgium. Never mind.
:cry:

EDIT: Im not a fan of boosting either, but I have an SD-1 if I need it/want to boost that day or whatever. It's also used to take some stress off the cable going to the input jack and the input jack itself. It goes under the cab, behind, and then between the cab and head to plug into the head.

• Members

EDIT: {censored}ing Belgium. Never mind.
:cry:

Yeah, YOU are the one crying - we are the guys having to pay $3k for a damn triple recto, or $2.5k for a Deliverance 120.

Edit: Considering the stupid prices for Marshall in the USA with the exchange-rate shenanigans ($1500, ORLY?), I would get the deliverance just to check it out. I've been loving the clips coming out of those, seems to have a very cool voicing.

It's not like the loop on the VM is useful at high gain anyway.

• Members

. And I wasn't trying to make it sound like a bad thing. I was just giving him some more details, and what the differences are. I don't care what amp he picks as long as he's happy with it, but I'd prefer it if he was happy with it because he made an educated decision rather than throwing darts, ya know?

Dude.

I don't need any more gas for a Deliverance, rite, RITE?

Stop feeding it.

(oh, and I needed a few more smiley faces in my previous post, it seems).

Archived