Kirk Hammet.......

Gary666

• Members

I think so too. Bob Rock said that Hetfield just did them with an MXR+ pedal straight to the board!

I just had to listen to that song, as I hadn't heard it in 15+ years. There are three solos. The first one fits this to a T. Definitely James, sounds like it's straight into the board. The other two, though, sound WAAAAAY more like Kirk than James to me. In any case, I wouldn't put any of them on my list of favorites.

For Metallica, that list is:

Jump in the Fire (especially the outro)

Ride the Lightning

Fade to Black (outro)

Creeping Death

The Call of Ktulu (EPIC!)

Master of Puppets (the one after the second harmony section)

Disposable Heroes (EPIC!)

Orion (the whole thing)

Blackened

Dyer's Eve

The Unforgiven

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Troll thread? Maybe
. Still I saw him live twice the last years and although he plays what he plays he didn't miss a note.
Plus metallica's riffs are not exactly "backing tracks" to practice on. I dare (and not in a bad way, not at all) every "hater" to take one backing track of a recent metallica record and play something better. I think he will be served his balls on a plate and then swallow them.

The solo on disposable heroes, for me is more inspirational than anything I've come across for a long long time. He solos WITH the band something that many people forget. He plays arpegios muted reversed scaling and very interesting stuff, without being tiresome or a wanker in that solo.

I saw them in 2008, with Down and The Sword. Kirk came in about a measure too late on one of the solos to One. He didn't miss a note, but it didn't matter, since he was out of time with the rest of the band. It was bad.

• Members

I think Kirks solos on most Metallica songs/albums fit the music very well (which IMO is what really matters in a solo) with the exception of Death Magnetic. Why they had him create his solos for Death Magentic without using the actual songs structure as the base is beyond me.

As far as his more recent live playing I've seen him be spot on some nights and be way off on others. He does have some hand/wrist issues these days. Not sure if it's carpel tunnel or what.

• Members

No, he has never sounded good or even mediocre. Ever.

But hey, he's a millionaire for playing like {censored}, so good for him.

This.

The guy has no taste, almost non-existent rhythm, plays seemingly random notes, pulls the strings out of tune, can't bend in tune and has horrid vibrato. I would like The Unforgiven if it weren't for the sharp bends and the overall sloppiness of delivery.

• Members

I think so too. Bob Rock said that Hetfield just did them with an MXR+ pedal straight to the board!

No dude...it was a Metal Zone LOL! But seriously...I think he had alot of potential during RTL and Master but then it seemed like he just put it into neutral and grabbed a wah and that's all he does anymore. Sucks for someone that used to take lessons from Satriani.

• Members

Definitely not a good guitarist because he uses the pentatonic scale instead of a Phrygian or Aoelian. The best guitarist use these scales. He also needs to reach with his pinky more or he's just not a very good guitarist. It's not about the raw energy or vibe it's about obscure scales and subjective difficulty levels. He's simply not that advanced. Jimmy Page did the same thing. He used a lot of pentatonic blues scales. It's really a shame. He could have been a good guitarist. Also, Iron Maiden's riffs need more work too. The riffs could be more complex and use more half diminished scale patterns, that would make them actually good. If only we could go fix these things. Trust me, I know because I'm sitting on my ass typing on a guitar forum.

• Members

Definitely not a good guitarist because he uses the pentatonic scale instead of a Phrygian or Aoelian. The best guitarist use these scales. He also needs to reach with his pinky more or he's just not a very good guitarist. It's not about the raw energy or vibe it's about obscure scales and subjective difficulty levels. He's simply not that advanced. Jimmy Page did the same thing. He used a lot of pentatonic blues scales. It's really a shame. He could have been a good guitarist. Also, Iron Maiden's riffs need more work too. The riffs could be more complex and use more half diminished scale patterns, that would make them actually good. If only we could go fix these things. Trust me, I know because I'm sitting on my ass typing on a guitar forum.

LOL. I liked his work on the early stuff. I still say the solo on Trapped Under Ice is super bad ass. The later stuff is really bad, half the time he cannot even bend in tune, and just sounds bad. Wish I had his millions though.

• Members

Jimmy Page did the same thing. He used a lot of pentatonic blues scales. It's really a shame. He could have been a good guitarist. Also, Iron Maiden's riffs need more work too.

I'm sorry, but at 2:25 that's just straight up {censored} playing. If that's heart and soul, then heart and soul sucks.

[YOUTUBE]npoYQMPCOvU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Nah. None of that makes him good or bad. He's not a good guitarist because 85% of what he plays sounds like {censored}. His vibrato is more akin to a nervous twitch than any kind of string shake. He has a poor sense of rhythm and a worse sense of tone. His transitions from piece to piece are shaky and off time. He drowns his playing in an out of control wah frenzy that only partially covers his lack of authority in the parts he attempts to play.

Hetfield has raw energy - Hammet was lucky to ride his and Cliff Burton's coat tails to fame and fortune.

:facepalm: That's for you...

• Members

How did Iron Maiden come in???

Archived