Changing tubes in my Carvin MTS

dgc480

• Members

Hey, I have a Carvin MTS3200 which I put new Svetlana Winged C 6L6GCs, and Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC7 HG + tubes in. However, I want to sell my MTS, but I want to keep my new tubes, so I need to put the factory set back in. The problem is, I can't remember if I took this to someone to get him to rebias the amp to install the new tubes, or if I just stuck them in there. Would I have needed to rebias to put the new set in there? Even if I can't remember, could I just stick the old set back in there? I know that I've played around with tube variations, and to see if I could tell the difference by switching the nw and old tubes in and out, and the amp sounded fine.

Thanks,

Dylan

• Members

haha yea. I want to get a fender hot rod deluxe, and put my new tubes in it. I know it's not a boutique, but it's definitely a step up in my opinion. I thought the cleans were really nice and snappy. And the distortion is surprisingly good.

Anyways, not to change the subject. I'm not sure, but I think the MTS may have a fixed bias. It has a switch on the back for EL34 and 6L6, so if I put in on the 6L6, would that mean I can just swap out my new 6L6GCs for the old Sovtec 5881 no problem?

• Members

haha yea. I want to get a fender hot rod deluxe, and put my new tubes in it. I know it's not a boutique, but it's definitely a step up in my opinion. I thought the cleans were really nice and snappy. And the distortion is surprisingly good.

Anyways, not to change the subject. I'm not sure, but I think the MTS may have a fixed bias. It has a switch on the back for EL34 and 6L6, so if I put in on the 6L6, would that mean I can just swap out my new 6L6GCs for the old Sovtec 5881 no problem?

The bias isnt fixed...theres a pot inside the amp, I think its blue, that you would have to turn to adjust the bias.

• Members

It is fixed bias, it's just adjustable.

Pretty much every modern (class A/B) amp in the world is fixed bias - that means that the idle conditions are set by a constant voltage.

Amps like Mesas and Peaveys are non-adjustable fixed bias, meaning that there isn't a way to adjust that voltage to compensate for different tubes. Amps like Marshalls or the Carvin in question have adjustable fixed bias, meaning you can dial your amp to be optimized for whatever tube set is installed.

Archived