So what's with this Whitebox crap?

DrakkarTyrannis

• Members

Well technically, overinflated detail would be hype. Affordable, great sounding cab..Okay...

"It outperforms all other cabs in the universe"=hype

I don't think anyone has ever said this. Just another good choice. Decent price, good service, good people. I like Avatar too, have owned many of their cabs, and still have a Hellatone 30, and Hellatone 60L. Not sure why people are pissed about it, or saying it is hype. Doug has worked hard to build a good relationship here, and it is a new product. Avatar did so through Ebay, with good quality at good prices. I hope they both succeed. Takes balls to start a new company in this economy.

• Members

I don't think anyone has ever said this. Just another good choice. Decent price, good service, good people. I like Avatar too, have owned many of their cabs, and still have a Hellatone 30, and Hellatone 60L. Not sure why people are pissed about it, or saying it is hype. Doug has worked hard to build a good relationship here, and it is a new product. Avatar did so through Ebay, with good quality at good prices. I hope they both succeed. Takes balls to start a new company in this economy.

You miss the point. I have no issue with Whitebox..and clearly that was exaggeration. My point is with Vader, Mills and others it became the "must have" when truth was that it's no "better" than other high end cabs. Cosmetics and whatnot might be different but from the standpoint that matters most (sound) they weren't drastically different.

• Members

I would say they are a notch above Avatar. Doug by reputation alone is worth choosing whitebox.

The quality is above Avatar? Are you talking about the product or the person?

When I was looking to replace my G12H30 a couple years ago I described to Dave at Avatar exactly my issue with the tone and what I was trying to achieve... I talked his ear off. Somehow I got him on the subject of SRV so then we were talking about that for a while.

His customer service is excellent, and, based on JCA threads I have seen here Doug's customer service is, likewise, above and beyond.

When two different people are top notch or go above or beyond why do we have to choose which one is better when niether are?

I mean seriously, objectively, what is the point of the comment I quoted?

Did Dave at Avatar give you bad customer service? I doubt it.

The point is they both are awesome guys with amazing customer service, so "Doug vs. Dave" has no place in a discussion of which product is objectively superior (that is, if one is any better than the other).

- a loyal Avatar customer who is open to being ANYONE's loyal customer!

• Members

When I was looking to replace my G12H30 a couple years ago I described to Dave at Avatar exactly my issue with the tone and what I was trying to achieve... I talked his ear off. Somehow I got him on the subject of SRV so then we were talking about that for a while.

His customer service is excellent, and, based on JCA threads I have seen here Doug's customer service is, likewise, above and beyond.

When two different people are top notch or go above or beyond why do we have to choose which one is better when niether are?

The point is they both are awesome guys with amazing customer service, so "Doug vs. Dave" has no place in a discussion of which product is objectively superior (that is, if one is any better than the other).

... and I'm not trolling for a response from anyone- just venting over something pointless that has the potential to rile somebody up and go all wrong...

I do agree.

• Members

- a loyal Avatar customer who is open to being ANYONE's loyal customer!

I think all he was trying to say is that he has owned both and he thinks the WhiteBox is the better sounding a built cab.

• Members

I think Avatars look better and chances are they sound exactly the same. Avatar just has more options... has been in business forever, and has always taken care of me. Unbelievable customer service.

Same with Vader... Adam has bent over backwards for me, a guy who bought one of his cabs used for $500.

I won't be buying a Whitebox.

As far as customer service is concerned, I have zero problems with saying Doug is up there with the best. I had a Jet City tech call me from his cell phone to answer rather trivial questions I had about my amp, had .pdf of schematics emailed to me and I know Doug personally and he is just as nice in person as he is online.

Having said that, I have been using an Avatar cab since the mid- 90's and it still sounds phenomenal and I always had great experiences with them.

But as far as Doug providing top-notch customer service, I am 100% certain that he will.

• Members

You miss the point. I have no issue with Whitebox..and clearly that was exaggeration. My point is with Vader, Mills and others it became the "must have" when truth was that it's no "better" than other high end cabs. Cosmetics and whatnot might be different but from the standpoint that matters most (sound) they weren't drastically different.

I hear you man. I actually have 2 Mills 4x12 cabs, and they are my favorite 4x12 hands down. I do not like Vader at all, never have. I think Doug has just been really good at posting here, and building relationships with people, and his products are good at a good price. he is not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just a good box with good speakers at a good price. I have seen stuff hyped, I think these have just been presented as a good well built cab. I am thinking about getting one with some special speakers. I don't think they are must have, just a good option.

Archived