What is the single best change for a Peavey XXX head to improve sound?

Acid Test

• Members

What don't you like about it?

For me, the best change I could make to mine WAS to sell it. Just the wrong amp for me. :idk: I tried changing preamp tubes, but the difference was negligible, to my ears anyway. Tried some 12AT7's but still just too fizzy, too much gain.

Completely off topic, you converted your Bravo to a head?

Did you custom build the shell, or did you use another existing one?

I've always wanted to take a Bravo to make into a head, mine sounds amazing through my 1960, but I like the convenience of having it as a combo too.

• Members

Switch to EL34's. Run lower gain preamp tubes. Slam the front with a tubescreamer or clone. Turn the master all the way up and manage volume with the channel volumes. Throw an MXR 10 band eq in the loop to tame the fizz and bump in some low mids.

• Members

EL34s in the power section and a low gain preamp tube in V1 (like a 5751 or a 12AT7).

I like the flavor of the EL34s better and they help tame fizz, and the low gain preamp tube REALLY helps tame the amp. Mine is way better now.

Just make sure you bias it right for the EL34s. If you bias to hot it might burn through some SGRs, mine did.

• Members

always use the "loose" speaker dampening to get the full spectrum of sound from the amp! it'll still sound tight, don't worry.

the xxx is terribly picky about cabs. it sounds a LOT different through different speakers, so keep that in mind.

i love using my {censored}ty little Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ pedal in the loop! that is the secret weapon. click on my band's link and listen to "Autoscopy" or "Azimuth" to get a listen!

• Members

EL34s in the power section and a low gain preamp tube in V1 (like a 5751 or a 12AT7).

I like the flavor of the EL34s better and they help tame fizz, and the low gain preamp tube REALLY helps tame the amp. Mine is way better now.

Just make sure you bias it right for the EL34s. If you bias to hot it might burn through some SGRs, mine did.

Tell me more about biasing with EL34s - I put in a set last night and turned back the bias control to read 43.5 or so, as prescribed. 30 seconds into playing there was a small pop and I shut down immediately. The EL34s were red hot. Put back the 6L6s and everything was fine. Yes I did flip the one switch to the right setting - EL34 with EL34s and 6L6 with 6L6s. The tubes were JJs EL34Ls with a "46" written on a sticker on their bases.

• Members

Tell me more about biasing with EL34s - I put in a set last night and turned back the bias control to read 43.5 or so, as prescribed. 30 seconds into playing there was a small pop and I shut down immediately. The EL34s were red hot. Put back the 6L6s and everything was fine. Yes I did flip the one switch to the right setting - EL34 with EL34s and 6L6 with 6L6s. The tubes were JJs EL34Ls with a "46" written on a sticker on their bases.

alright, the bias points on the XXX are garbage. Trying to bias an amp with voltage reading is silly.

Buy a bias probe from Eurotubes. Its 20 bucks, plugs right into a tube slot and into you multimeter. read the current flow to the tube, that is the bias. Adjust it accordingly. I think its 35mA for EL34s.

You probably blew a tube, sounds like the 34s were red plating.

• Members

Probably blew a screen due to over dissipation if the bias was well out of whack.

Is a tube at 46 versus an amp bias setting of 42.5 far out of whack? Not sure how sensitive the number is.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM:

To lay my question to rest, a service rep from Peavey emailed this information to me:

"Hello Dan,

The bias test jacks are used read the Bias Voltage, which can be

tweaked using the Bias Adjust control located next to the power tubes.

It is recommended that this adjustment be done by a technician, but if

you are handy with a Volt Meter you can check the voltage yourself.

Your meter should be set to read DC Volts.

For 6L6 tubes, the factory setting is ~55 vdc at the test jack.

For EL 34, the reading would vary depending upon the tubes you have.

The factory setting is ~42.5 vdc.

Be sure and switch the Bias Select switch to the proper position.

Regards,

Roger Crimm

Regional Service Manager

Peavey Electronics

rcrimm@peavey.com"

• Members

Is a tube at 46 versus an amp bias setting of 42.5 far out of whack? Not sure how sensitive the number is.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM:

To lay my question to rest, a service rep from Peavey emailed this information to me:

"Hello Dan,

The bias test jacks are used read the Bias Voltage, which can be

tweaked using the Bias Adjust control located next to the power tubes.

It is recommended that this adjustment be done by a technician, but if

you are handy with a Volt Meter you can check the voltage yourself.

Your meter should be set to read DC Volts.

For 6L6 tubes, the factory setting is ~55 vdc at the test jack.

For EL 34, the reading would vary depending upon the tubes you have.

The factory setting is ~42.5 vdc.

Be sure and switch the Bias Select switch to the proper position.

Regards,

Roger Crimm

Regional Service Manager

Peavey Electronics

"

I know they saw that, but doing by the voltage is a super innaccurate way to do it.

I biased my XXX with the test points on the ampo, then checked the bias with my bias probe and it was WAY off.

You probably blew a SGR or 2 when those tubes when, btw

• Members

as a former xxx owner,...heres the list (in order of difference) i did to make it a very good amp..

-good speakers-i went with scumback (2) M75's & (2) H75'S...OR any greenback or quality greenback clone.

-biased it,..when i put my bias rite on it,..the little bias knob wouldnt take it out of range or either too hot...or too cold,..so i dimed mine to the hottest setting,..this alone was a huge difference

-JJ 6L6's- some swear at them,..some swear by them,..i am a self admitted tube junky,..i tried every tube made in the xxx el34's/kt77's differemt manufacturers etc,...the JJ 6L6's,..fit the bill for me.

-preamp tubes-..V-1 is the magic tube,..but the others also have an effect on the tone,...go nos,..with lower gain.

-master volume @ 100%,..dial in volume for your loudness

i traded my xxx to someone on this board,..maybe he can chime in with more specifics on the amp,..the xxx is a very under estimated amp,..with tons of potential

• Members

Whatever peavey is telling you about the test points, ignore them. The test points are MASSIVELY inaccurate. Like ejendres said...get yourself a bias probe from eurotubes. They also have voltage ranges for most common amps, including the XXX on their site. When you get the bias probe, try it out, then compare with what you get from the test points in the back of the amp...you will notice a big difference. The test points should not be used, for the safety of your amp.

• Members

I had a Peavey XXX and it was VERY picky about cabs. I had the XXX cab and sold it really quick because it sounded so horrible, non exsistant low end and just weak sounding.

A V30 Randall cab made it rock. I think it still had a bit to much fizz in it for me though.

Archived