Choosing a Paul Reed Smith

ThrashensteiN

• Members

So, after about 2 years of searching and debating I narrowed down my quest for a "prize" guitar. Long story short, I half of my family is dead and I wanted something to embody the memory. I was left with nothing in the end, the surviving members of my family stealing and lying to acquire everything, money or otherwise, from both sides of my family. So enough about the sob story, onto the guitars. I've always wanted a Paul Reed Smith, I knew this going into it. I had a small kick for a Les Paul Traditional, but decided 24 frets was a must for me. So, right now I'm debating between a couple PRS guitars, one just being a different color. Here are my options:

PRS Navarro Signature:

39512_l.jpg

Pros:

Cheapest

Simple Look

Have it in my store, so I don't have to wait to order one

Cons:

No 10 top

almost too plain (still on the fence about this)

PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 (Charcoal Burst):

prs-25th-custom-24-charcoal-07.jpg

Pros:

10 Top

Eagle Headstock and 25th anniversary inlays

Cons:

Would have to order

may not be able to afford a 10 top version

PRS 25th Anniversary Santana (Angry Larry or Black Slate):

prssant.jpg

-139772705737331990-300x225.jpg

Pros:

Angry Larry is in store

Angry Larry is 2nd cheapest with a 10 top

Eagle Headstock

Love Santana Necks

Cons:

Have to order Black Slate

Can't decide if Angry Larry is too. . .feminine for me. I go back and forth how much I like it.

So, any input is welcome. Hopefully I can figure this out soon. Like I said, the Angry Larry and the Navarro are both in my store, I've played both extensively. We have 2 25th anniversary Custom 24 that I have played as well, just not in Charcoal Burst.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a couple of questions. Does it have to be new is the main question, Also are you wanting to play before you buy? The reason I say this is there are some good forumites over at Birds and Moons and they are some dealers there as well that can get damn near any color and any model. Plus alot of guys over there have some case queens and they are just like mint but cheaper since they are "used". Try Birds and Moons you might find something more to your liking there or find something you want more.

• Members

I'd really try to play before you buy...especially if you're dropping over 1k on a single item.

Personal anecdote: I played around on over a dozen of PRSi over the last few years and while I was amazed at the workmanship, none felt right to me. Finally, I walked into a store recently and tried out a CE22 (that I now own) and it was perfect. Just my experience, though.

• Members

I like the 25th anniversary ones, and Charcoal Burst is my favorite among the colors. The headstock is what really does it for me, not sure why. I love the Eagle headstocks.

I'm on such a fence too, because the Wide Thin and the Santana neck are both just...amazing to me. Im just not sure if the Santana looks. . . right on me if that makes sense.

Bah this {censored}s hard.

• Members

My Navarro is the best guitar I've ever played, PERIOD. I'm not a sig guitar guy either, but like the OP said, it's just a white Custom 24 (mine with a brazilian rosewood neck). I get compliments on it's looks all the time.

As far as playing them beforehand, I do agree for the most part, but every one of the PRS I've owned, (5 total), came to me via shipping, and all have been excellent and weren't lacking anything.

• Members

Skip the Navarro. Who wants the signature guitar of an annoying hack who can't play?

Navarro.. a hack. HAHAHAHAHA! To each his own, agree to disagree and all that {censored}, but you cannot legitimately say that Navarro is a hack without sounding like you are completely going off of the fact that you just don't vibe with his music. The ever-shirtless guygirl bugs me, unending, in the media. Yet, Navarro can play very very well.

OP: the Santana that you think may be too feminine is not so much, imo. That is one beautiful guitar, as is the Navarro. Back to the Santana, if purple isn't your thing though, don't do it. I can't take my eyes off of the charcoal 25th CU 24. That is the one.

• Members

Man, that girlie Santana is nice tho.. :)

CHARCOAL BURST, HANDS DOWN. And taking into consideration the inherent reasoning behind your purchase, who cares if it costs too much. And the wait will make it all the better once it arrives. You will cherish that thing forever, I mean how could you not???

• Members

I like Angry Larry. :love:

Shameless Spam: I'm selling off a bunch of guitars, including the following PRSs from my stable:

Gray Black 513...signed by Mark Tremonti, Al DiMeola, Paul Smith, Johnny Hiland, and many more...

Blue Jean Modern Eagle Brazilian Rosewood

Black SCJ

CE24 in Natural.....

All guitars are signed by Paul on the rear plate as well...

• Members

Go to the store, play them all, buy teh one that sounds the best.

Its too risky to drop 4k on a guitar that could sound like shit but look nice.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Here, let me help you with that.

1. Navarro sigs and CU24's are not "4k".

2. It could be true that not all PRS guitars are "the one", but (CU24's for example) don't sound much different than each other, and you're not going to find one that sounds great and another that sounds like shit.

Archived