Best Place to Buy a PC From Online?

Mr Lucky Pants

• Members

Well, I'm partial to newegg for my computer needs. Good selection, good prices, fast shipping and they've always treated me right with returns etc.

I dunno if you're looking to buy prebuilt or build your own, but they have great prices, good selection and all that jive.

As for the actual components you need for recording, I'll defer to those with experience in that area.

• Members

Well, I'm partial to
for my computer needs. Good selection, good prices, fast shipping and they've always treated me right with returns etc.

I dunno if you're looking to buy prebuilt or build your own, but they have great prices, good selection and all that jive.

As for the actual components you need for recording, I'll defer to those with experience in that area.

I was considering learning to build one myself...doesn't seem too hard. Any tips?

• Members

If it's for recording I'd build one, that way you get exactly what you want and don't have to deal with proprietary motherboard hassles. Newegg is the {censored}. When building make sure to discharge any static electricity on yourself by touching the computer case, a ground/wrist strap helps. Plenty of info on the Web.

• Members

If it's for recording I'd build one, that way you get exactly what you want and don't have to deal with proprietary motherboard hassles. Newegg is the {censored}. When building make sure to discharge any static electricity on yourself by touching the computer case, a ground/wrist strap helps. Plenty of info on the Web.

Cool, I'll think I'll go that route. Anyone have any recommendations on sound cards? And also, what speed RAM is reccomended? What speed hard drive?

• Members

I was considering learning to build one myself...doesn't seem too hard. Any tips?

There are lots of guides online. If you're a complete computer newbie, I wouldn't try it. If you know how to install an operating system then you could probably build a computer.

• Members

There are lots of guides online. If you're a complete computer newbie, I wouldn't try it. If you know how to install an operating system then you could probably build a computer.

Well, I've replaced a cpu fan/heatsink, removed the motherboard and changed the bracket out first/applied thermal paste, etc. I know where the hard drives, RAM and cpu go. I haven't installed an OS since 95.

• Members

If I can do it, you can do it.

The only tips I have:

Don't skimp on the power supply. Higher quality supply is FAR more important that high wattage. An 800watt PSU that dies and fries everything after 8 months is worthless. A good 500-700 watt PSU from Corsair, OCZ, or a solid brand, so much better.

Get a motherboard that can handle more than you need now. When I built mine a year ago, I made it would be expandable for at least the next few years. Even if you don't need 16GB RAM or the fastest processor, if you get a mobo that can handle that, well, you won't be sad down the line.

Other guys can give you more really good advice, and recording gear advice especially.

• Members

Well, I've replaced a cpu fan/heatsink, removed the motherboard and changed the bracket out first/applied thermal paste, etc. I know where the hard drives, RAM and cpu go. I haven't installed an OS since 95.

I think you'll be alright, just do a bunch of research on which components to get. I usually go to ADK Pro Audio and clone their systems. They have a lot of info on cpu/motherboards/chipset combos that are tested and work.

• Members

I've built two my recording PC's with kits from TigerDirect with great results.

If you get all your pieces alacarte then you will have a hell of a time matching specs and all of that. This takes the guesswork out of it. The only thing the kits don't include is a heat sink/fan (for some reason) and usually an OS (but some of the kits do include an OS).

• Members

I couldn't find LoopQuantum online. Is it a forumite?

he works for Sweetwater. He'll know about those PC builds for sure. They do everything to set them up for recording enthusiasts. The disable all kinds of {censored} you don't need, plus the cases are quieter than most, etc. Ask him about it in PM or something. he's teh food guy here too

• Members

Oh you'll be fine. Shoot me a PM with your budget if you want me to put together a good newegg parts list for you.

Archived