NSETD!!! Pictures AND video!!!

JamesPeters

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
those teas look so good. I'm a tea newb...really just getting started with teas. I picked up a tea ball and some green tea from an organic foods store. Still trying to figure out how to get the right mixture and how long to steep it for. I normally add sugar or honey, but my next cup I'll try it without it. I'm not sure if the tea I picked up is a good brand or not, Uncle Lee Green Tea?
http://www.unclelee.com/product_info.php?cPath=20_10&products_id=392

The only black tea's I've really had are stash brand
:facepalm:
I'm really wanting to get a higher quality of tea's. Any suggestions or recommendations would be awesome!

haha, was brewing up some Earl Grey Supreme from harney.com as I heard the notification ding for this thread.

Steep times vary. Greens and whites are usually shorter than blacks. You need to use cooler water as well (185* for greens instead of a hard boil you would use for blacks). Greens usually steep for around 3 min but really depends on what you have.

• Members

This is awesome. I've met coffee snobs, tobacco snobs and beer snobs (I am one of these guys actually) before but you are the first tea snob I've ever (met?) :lol: Nothing at all wrong with that...It's like a hobby, so I can completely understand.

I've never enjoyed tea unless it's cold :facepalm: I don't think I would like really any hot tea... :idk:

• Members

This is awesome. I've met coffee snobs, tobacco snobs and beer snobs (I am one of these guys actually) before but you are the first tea snob I've ever (met?)
:lol:
Nothing at all wrong with that...It's like a hobby, so I can completely understand.

I've never enjoyed tea unless it's cold
I don't think I would like really any hot tea...
:idk:

haha, I'm a snob in each of those areas as well. Half the fun is trying new {censored}. Same with maps...nothing new.

• Members

Yeah, I'm bored...from the above adagio link...

Goal: Perfect Cup

No matter how expensive the tea you buy, if you brew it wrong, it's awful.

This is a lesson many beginners learn the hard way. Most people who claim that they "don't like the taste" were repelled by an incorrectly brewed tea. This can create a terrible misconception that can last a lifetime... and can also be easily avoided with better brewing techniques.

Most restaurants, caf

• Members

awesome!

Should my green tea be grassing tasting?

Yup. Grassy, vegetal, "liquid spinach", turns quite a few people off actually. You'll find lots of natural flavors in tea...similar to wine. Vegetal flavors, floral flavors in greens and greener oolongs. You can find spicy or even chocolate notes in some blacks...Ever smelled an earthen cellar or crawlspace that is at least 100 years old? Yes, you can even get that flavor in Pu-Erh.

Just curious...why are you getting into tea? Health benefits? Just like the flavor? Just bored?

• Members

I really dig tea as well. I don't drink enough lately. I should get back into my 3+ cups/day.

Nice tutorial, Guidance.

I didn't write that brewing article...it's from the Adagio site. Good info though...me, I just boil my water in a large sauce pan. Pull it off the heat, throw my tea in, wait my time and strain it out into a few cups or a thermos. Nothin' fancy.

• Members

Yup. Grassy, vegetal, "liquid spinach", turns quite a few people off actually. You'll find lots of natural flavors in tea...similar to wine. Vegetal flavors, floral flavors in greens and greener oolongs. You can find spicy or even chocolate notes in some blacks...Ever smelled an earthen cellar or crawlspace that is at least 100 years old? Yes, you can even get that flavor in Pu-Erh.

Just curious...why are you getting into tea? Health benefits? Just like the flavor? Just bored?

health benefits, plus I've liked most tea's I've tasted. This new one I have it a little strong.

• Members

health benefits, plus I've liked most tea's I've tasted. This new one I have it a little strong.

Ah, I wouldn't get to hung up on green tea then. It's all healthy. Black, white, green, oolong...it all comes from the exact same plant, Camellia sinensis. Drink what you think tastes good...

What benefits are you looking for? For example, Pu-Erh (an aged black, probably not for the novice drinker-it can be a little funky) is known to lower cholesterol.

http://www.adagio.com/info/health_benefits.html?SID=b6bfefe4a849b4cc81b77b47cb5f508c

• Members

...Adagio.com or Harney.com They import direct and it's all good stuff. Just start buying samples...get a few greens, a few blacks, etc.

Thanks for the reference! I will look into these guys. I'm specifically looking for some green tea - I knew a Japanese chick a few years back that gave me this awesome stuff and in the years since I've tried dozens of greens and have been disappointed with every single one.

I'm going to have some fun here: http://www.adagio.com/green/green_sampler.html?SID=b54704b945b6fd6015239ee77f6c2d9d

• Members

Thanks for the reference! I will look into these guys. I'm specifically looking for some green tea - I knew a Japanese chick a few years back that gave me this awesome stuff and in the years since I've tried dozens of greens and have been disappointed with every single one.

I'm going to have some fun here:

That sampler is made up of Chinese greens...White Monkey is awesome. One of my faves...Green Pekoe and Green Anji are good too, but it's been a while and I really don't remember exactly how they tasted. Seems to me, all three of those are kinda similar...if you are looking for variety, you might want to go with something else. Never had the last one.

I'd assume she served you a Japanese green...do you remember what the leaves looked like or how it tasted? Was it a powder? If so, your looking for matcha...if the leaves looked similar to pine needles, it was probably sencha. If you saw twigs with the leaves, it's kukicha. Was it brown w/a roasted flavor? That's hojicha.

• Members
This is awesome. I've met coffee snobs, tobacco snobs and beer snobs (I am one of these guys actually) before but you are the first tea snob I've ever (met?)
:lol:
Nothing at all wrong with that...It's like a hobby, so I can completely understand.

I've never enjoyed tea unless it's cold
I don't think I would like really any hot tea...
:idk:

Instead of a "cork" sniffer, he's a "tea" sniffer. That said of all the tea I've ever had I HATE Earl Grey. The after taste is even worse than the initial taste, bleeeeehhhh. In the Winter I drink about half a gallon of Lipton a day. In the Summer its a gallon. And I'm from the Deep South so yes, I like a little tea with my sugar. I'll drink some different tea from time to time but I have to be in the mood. I rarely drink soda pop,if I get it it is when I am out and about and can't find any Sobee. The carbonation just doesn't agree with my tongue anymore.

I haven't drank in over 19 years and my drink of choice was beer when I did. I have had a few times when I 'veseen micro brew beer and wondered what it tastes like. Especially when they have played one of the several "History of Beer" shows on THC or Discovery and the like. I get tempted to try some from time to time but just never do.

I wouldn't mind trying different pipe tobbaccos but there isn't a smoke shop in town that sells different blends. For now I'll stick with Captain Black, as most the other "pipe tobbaco they sell locally isn't much better than Top or Bugler:facepalm:

• Members

Instead of a "cork" sniffer, he's a "tea" sniffer. That said of all the tea I've ever had I HATE Earl Grey. The after taste is even worse than the initial taste, bleeeeehhhh. In the Winter I drink about half a gallon of Lipton a day. In the Summer its a gallon. And I'm from the Deep South so yes, I like a little tea with my sugar. I'll drink some different tea from time to time but I have to be in the mood. I rarely drink soda pop,if I get it it is when I am out and about and can't find any Sobee. The carbonation just doesn't agree with my tongue anymore.

I haven't drank in over 19 years and my drink of choice was beer when I did. I have had a few times when I 'veseen micro brew beer and wondered what it tastes like. Especially when they have played one of the several "History of Beer" shows on THC or Discovery and the like. I get tempted to try some from time to time but just never do.

I wouldn't mind trying different pipe tobbaccos but there isn't a smoke shop in town that sells different blends. For now I'll stick with Captain Black, as most the other "pipe tobbaco they sell locally isn't much better than Top or Bugler:facepalm:

Now here's a guy who'd really enjoy a Pu-Erh! ;):D

BTW, I love the first review (topmost, on the left) of this tea:

http://www.adagio.com/black/black_dragon_pearls.html?SID=4da088c15d25cc185b37ca305df69256

Archived