Hey Maps, college? What's the wisest degree to follow at the moment?

Voltaire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so if we tell you to get a degree in a field that you hate you would consider it?

isnt the point of getting a degree to get a job that you actually like doing? i understand you want to get a job after graduation and that is important but you didnt really include anything about what you are passionate about. do you just want a good paying job that is in demand right now or do you care about doing something you like?

• Members

so if we tell you to get a degree in a field that you hate you would consider it?

isnt the point of getting a degree to get a job that you actually like doing? i understand you want to get a job after graduation and that is important but you didnt really include anything about what you are passionate about. do you just want a good paying job that is in demand right now or do you care about doing something you like?

I AM SLEEPING ON RANDOM PEOPLES COUCHES. I NEED something that pays well

if it's any matter.. I like to work with people (not kids)

is there something i could do that would enable me to be out all night partying? i'd do that.

• Members

If your chasing the almighty dollar a degree in computer science is pretty handy, mostly because it can be applied to solving problems in many other fields. Plus most people don't enjoy organizing thoughts on how to solve a problem, write an alogrithm and then bang out some working code. I believe my dad said a person who is a rock solid java or C++ programer who can bang code out that works really fast can make over $100 an hour(these are the best of the best though). I was also told by a guy at the UW that if I could write programs to get stuff working on a windows 7 machine for a fusion reactor in the EE department I could get free grad school. Hence I decided to branch out from just EE to double up in CS.

• Members

If your chasing the almighty dollar a degree in computer science is pretty handy, mostly because it can be applied to solving problems in many other fields. Plus most people don't enjoy organizing thoughts on how to solve a problem, write an alogrithm and then bang out some working code. I believe my dad said a person who is a rock solid java or C++ programer who can bang code out that works really fast can make over $100 an hour(these are the best of the best though). I was also told by a guy at the UW that if I could write programs to get stuff working on a windows 7 machine for a fusion reactor in the EE department I could get free grad school. Hence I decided to branch out from just EE to double up in CS.

my lawd, i couldn't do that type of work, my brain would die.

• Members

It's not just the degree, it's what you do with the education you receive is what matters......... if you can't apply yourself, the rest is {censored}! :eek:

Money will be good in Energy and IT type computer specialties. Medical is good field too bit depends how dedicated you are. Do us all a favor and don't go into the medical profession for earnings potential alone. :)

An educator is decent if you want to earn under 60k but have a few months off a year and retirement bennies galore. You have to able to work with bratty- parent overly enabled- narcissistic- no discipline kids though! :eek:

If you are young and into construction stuff you can do like my nephew and earn close to 3 million over five years working as maintenance tech in Dubai.

• Members

Nursing or any medical technology field. If you want to work with people, good Human Resources people are in short supply. Right now there is no real sure-fire degree for getting a job.

BTW I am a college prof. I get asked this almost every day.

HUMAN RESOURCES.

• Members
An educator is decent if you want to earn under 60k but have a few months off a year and retirement bennies galore. You have to able to work with bratty- parent overly enabled- narcissistic- no discipline kids though!
:eek:

Education is a horrible field right now. VERY few open positions with fierce competition at pretty much every level.

• Members

BTW I am a college prof. I get asked this almost every day.

Where and in what?

I'm a prof in philosophy at Brown University in Rhode Island.

PS to OP: I was visiting Georgetown's business school this past week, and it seemed like the business majors already had jobs lined up for next year. So, getting a business degree at an elite school seems like a good idea, too.

• Members

I AM SLEEPING ON RANDOM PEOPLES COUCHES. I NEED something that pays well

if it's any matter.. I like to work with people (not kids)

is there something i could do that would enable me to be out all night partying? i'd do that.

plenty of promoter type roles in vegas, etc. I have no idea how to come about such a job, but I know they are out there. That one lady who slept with Tiger Woods had a similar job in vegas geared toward "high rollers".

Anyways, it's hard to recommend anything useful when I dont know a thing about you and your interests. If you're hyper competitive and modestly intelligent I suggest business/finance. This degree is horrible for most people though. Engineering degrees seem to be great for jobs out of undergrad. History or philosophy if you want to get into law school. If you're interested in medicine but don't want to do the full on med school thing phamacists make pretty decent money (still not easy to finish up the schooling) and nurses (requires far less schooling) do ok too.

• Members
I gotta go back to school, I have no idea what to do.

Was thinking communication or social sciences but?

but what's a wise degree to follow at the moment, duders?

Define "wise"?

Better yet, define what you're interested in studying... (I'd worry more about that than I would about a particular career path; if it's job-training you want, there are often better ways to get it than traditional college.)

So, yeah ~ decide what interests you and dive into that head-first. :thu:

• Members
Define "wise"?

Better yet, define what you're interested in studying... (I'd worry more about that than I would about a particular career path; if it's job-training you want, there are often better ways to get it than traditional college.)

So, yeah ~ decide what interests you and dive into that head-first.
:thu:

Wise= a career that will pay well.

WELL, I've always been a fan of writing, I've always hated math.. still hate it.. I'm terrible with math and problem solving.. I was thinking psychology, I was thinking communications and I was thinking of something to do with public relations.

but I'm not sure where I should put my foot to make that first step into anything..

• Members

WELL, I've always been a fan of writing, I've always hated math.. still hate it.. I'm terrible with math and problem solving.. I was thinking psychology, I was thinking communications and I was thinking of something to do with public relations.

but I'm not sure where I should put my foot to make that first step into anything..

Based upon this info there are fields that might work: Tech Writing and Grant Writing. They are both wide open fields and you can either work for a company or freelance. Decent amount of human contact and you get to do a lot of writing. Not exactly a way to get rich but you can certainly earn a comfortable living with either one.

• Members

A more general degree like psych might end up allowing you a greater range of career choices on the other end ~ for example, it would be helpful with both communications and public relations. The trade off (downside) is that it might take a little more explaining/convincing to show a prospective employer why she or he should hire you as a psych major instead of someone whose degree actually says "public relations"...

If you have the option, I'd recommend taking your first year or so to work on general education courses (the basics required of all majors) before even declaring your major. You'll likely find out a lot about what "clicks" with you and what doesn't as you go through those gen. ed. classes, and you might be able to sample some things that you're not sure about before committing, gnome sane?

Archived