Dumble Tone On The Cheap?

lotlizard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FAIL.

I cant bealive no one has heard of the dubmble-tron.

this is the best recording ive found of it. i think its as nice as you can get for that dumble tone.

check it out tell me what you think.

Holy ......

{censored}ing ......

AMAZING!

• Members

I'm serious. Who is this TAG fellow and why is he so important? Or is he just another loser out there on the internet, who is actually dumb enough to have owned a dumble?

And finally, why are people spending thousands of dollars on getting this "dumble" tone, when it's mostly achievable with pretty common gear?

No way am I spending 5k on an amp.

And no way in hell I'm paying 600 bucks for a pedal. :freak:

• Members

After reading various boards for a while, checking out clips, and listening to a few recordings made with a Dumble, I have to admit I like that tone.

However, I like a few other tones as well, so I'm not interested in selling off any of my current gear to purchase a Dumble style amp. Therefore, I'm not in the market for any of the more expensive Dumble style amps out there.

So, what are the best options for a cheap, D-style tone? I've been working at it with my Mesa (using a seperate graphic EQ), and I can somewhere in the ballpark but it just isn't smooth enough.

Can an okay Dumble style tone be found for 1K, 1.5K, or 2k (about my limit for an amp)? Is there a pedal which will get me close?

I have a buddy with a Ceriatone JCM800 style amp which sounds darn close to my JCM800. Are Ceriatone's Dumble inspired offerings as good?

Hey!

Glad to hear you are digging the Dumble tones! the best pedal i have found is the Ethos pedal. It does a fantastic job...for a pedal. IMO, the best deal is a Fuchs modded amp, as long as its newer and an "SLX" version. If you can spend a little more (2-2.5K) you can get GREAT Dumble like tones. A TwoRock Custom, Emerald Pro or Artist are about as good as you can get besides the new Quinns IMO, and can be had in the low to mid 2s used. (SPAM ALERT!!!!!) I am thinking of selling my E.Pro because I like my new Quinn more, so shoot me an email if you are interested.

EMERALD PRO TONES: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9597081&q=hi&newref=1

Tag303@verizon.net

VERY GOOD!

• Members

That Emerald Pro does sound great, but I can't quite swing that much cash right now. If I pick up some more contracts between now and the end of January, I might be able to swing more.

Right now I am leaning toward the Ethos pedal. I believe it will push me more into the ball park of what I am looking for. I can get fairly close with what I have, but the tone is sort of like a blanket is over the speaker. The closest so far has been with a modified TS9 and a modified GE7 into a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Still, it was only "close" in that I could tell what tone I was going for, but I couldn't nail it.

If the Ethos isn't enough, I'll probably sell it and invest in an amp. I'm beginning to think that rather than go through a string of amps, I might just wait, save up the cash, and go with a Fuchs or Two Rock.

• Members

That Emerald Pro does sound great, but I can't quite swing that much cash right now. If I pick up some more contracts between now and the end of January, I might be able to swing more.

Right now I am leaning toward the Ethos pedal. I believe it will push me more into the ball park of what I am looking for. I can get fairly close with what I have, but the tone is sort of like a blanket is over the speaker. The closest so far has been with a modified TS9 and a modified GE7 into a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Still, it was only "close" in that I could tell what tone I was going for, but I couldn't nail it.

If the Ethos isn't enough, I'll probably sell it and invest in an amp. I'm beginning to think that rather than go through a string of amps, I might just wait, save up the cash, and go with a Fuchs or Two Rock.

I think thats a great move. The ethos is fantastic. My favorite over drive pedal by far, but it still sounds like a pedal. I have one to grab when i am going somewhere and there is an amp there for me to use. Good luck and let me know what you end up with!

• Members

I'm serious. Who is this TAG fellow

Ummmm...that would be me. :wave:

why is he so important?

Well, IMO, becaue I am a KILLER player and get GREAT tone. ;)

is he just another loser out there on the internet

That makes two of us. :facepalm:

who is actually dumb enough to have owned a dumble?

Best move I have ever made tonally speaking. :thu:

And finally, why are people spending thousands of dollars on getting this "dumble" tone, when it's mostly achievable with pretty common gear?

Because its not. I tried everything. Thats what made me "dumb enough" to buy one. Nothing else will do it, until now. :)

No way am I spending 5k on an amp.

GOOD news!!!! The Quinn is MUCH less! :):):)

And no way in hell I'm paying 600 bucks for a pedal.

:eek: Agree. Me either.

• Members

Six hundred bucks for a pedal is on the extreme side for me as well. I don't have a problem dropping $400 on an Ethos - it seems to be more of a preamp in a pedal format.

I'll probably sleep on it for a few days and then order the Ethos. The clips on the website sound pretty good.

However, knowing myself, I'll just end up dropping the $ on a Dumble clone down the road.

• Members

Ummmm...that would be me.
:wave:

Well, IMO, becaue I am a KILLER player and get GREAT tone.
;)

That makes two of us.
:facepalm:

Best move I have ever made tonally speaking.
:thu:

Because its not. I tried everything. Thats what made me "dumb enough" to buy one. Nothing else will do it, until now.
:)

GOOD news!!!! The Quinn is MUCH less!

:eek:
Agree. Me either.

I {censored}ing lol'd at all of this. You're a funny guy Tag. You're a funny guy.

• Members

Ceriatone or Axe-fx.

Considering most of the Dumble clips I found sound like bunk because of cheap recording gear, you probably don't know what one actually sounds like until you play it in person.

For a real fat clean tone an old Carvin X100b is a real nice amp.

Archived