What are some Decent Cheep Cabs?

goldenhose

• Members

Preferably 4x12 but 2x12 more realistic. I heard avatar cabs are good deals, but even they seem out of my price range.

Whats involved in creating a good cab besides quality speakers? Wood and construction? Can you take a cheep cab off of CL and change the speakers and expect decent sound?

• Members

Preferably 4x12 but 2x12 more realistic. I heard avatar cabs are good deals, but even they seem out of my price range.

Whats involved in creating a good cab besides quality speakers? Wood and construction? Can you take a cheep cab off of CL and change the speakers and expect decent sound?

In my experience the construction of the cab (materials, dimensions and build technique) is just as important as the speakers if not more important. As an example, I had a 5150 cab that I hated the sound of with the stock speakers. I tried V30s, G12T75s and a mix of the two and it still sounded bad. It was just a blurry, compressed sounding cab with a sort of flat, bland sound. After I got rid of that cab I bought a Mesa cab loaded with V30s and I absolutely love it. It's got all the things that the 5150 cab was missing.

So you can't buy a bad cab and make it good by putting different speakers in it. That said, you can find great cabs at great prices. Avatar cabs aren't bad, but I would take a used Mesa cab over an Avatar cab any day. You still haven't posted your budget though, so no one can really help without knowing that.

• Members

$250 for a cab. I have a Crate Blue Voodoo 50watt Head and Crate 50watt 2x12 combo that uses EL34 tubes. The combo is too bright/ice picky. I think it would sound better through a closed back cab.

Is it a good idea to run 2 amps through the same 4x12 cab? Give each amp a pair of speakers from the cab?

• Members

$250 for a cab. I have a Crate Blue Voodoo 50watt Head and Crate 50watt 2x12 combo that uses EL34 tubes. The combo is too bright/ice picky. I think it would sound better through a closed back cab.

Is it a good idea to run 2 amps through the same 4x12 cab? Give each amp a pair of speakers from the cab?

No you shouldn't run 2 amps through one stereo cab because you can get phase cancellation. It would have to be wired as a stereo cab if you want to try it though.

For $250 you can find a used Mesa 2x12 with V30's if you do some searching. I think that's the best buy for the money personally. They sound bigger than a lot of 4x12 cabs. And yes, a closed back cab will probably fatten up your tone, but why not just try an EQ pedal in the loop of your amp first? You can easily round off an icepick high end with that, and you'll save some money. This is a good choice:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m109-6-band-graphic-eq

• Members

Getting a better cab won't make that amp sound much better.

Sell the amp and combo and get yourself something decent like a Jet City, Blackstar, Peavey, Egnater...

There are much better options out there for the money.

I will. I want to experient with multiple amplifiers first. I dont expect a cab to make the amps sound much better. Im just dont want their tone held back by {censored}ty speakers/cab

• Members

Least expensive is probably Lopoline in general.

I have a Sig 4x12, and it's a good cab, but not as cleanly constructed as my old Bogner, nor my boogie style half back 2x12 (don't know who made it :idk: ), but it feels just as substantial, that's for sure.

Then again, for $152 + S&H I got a tweed/cane unloaded 4x12, and they sent me an extra back because the first one was a little warped. The shipping wait wasn't long at all, the cab has held up well, and it sounds great. As good or better than any other 4x12 I've played through, including the Bogner 4x12 (V30's). Then again, if I had the Bogner loaded with alnico Fanes and Heritage Celestions it might be another story? :idk:

• Members

I have to admit, Im skeptical of an EQ pedal but a lot of people like them. Im gonna have to try one.

The cab that came with the BV is wired for stereo. I will see if has cancellation with 2 different amps. 2x12s is probably the way to go.

An EQ pedal in the effects loop can make a HUGE difference.

Also, +1 to the Jet City cab. Dirt cheap, I bought one about a month or so ago, and it's a good cab.

Archived