New Epiphone LPs

Ripfence

• Members

I was in a music store recently checking out some pro audio gear and I had some time to kill so I checked out some of the newer Epiphone LPs and I was pretty surprised at their quality. I didn't get a chance to plug one in but it looked good, played good and sounded good acoustically.

In the past I don't know that I would have given them a second glance but now that LP Standards are $2k and up the $500-$600 Epiphones are getting my attention.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. I'm also digging the PRS SE models anyone have any stories on them?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was in a music store recently checking out some pro audio gear and I had some time to kill so I checked out some of the newer Epiphone LPs and I was pretty surprised at their quality. I didn't get a chance to plug one in but it looked good, played good and sounded good acoustically.

In the past I don't know that I would have given them a second glance but now that LP Standards are $2k and up the $500-$600 Epiphones are getting my attention.

What are your thoughts?

One word...Edwards. :o

• Members

Put some decent pickups in an Epiphone LP then play it and enjoy having 1.5K to spend on something else. Is it as good? No. Then again many bands gig with a Marshall MG halfstack and you don't hear of bar crowds rioting over the substandard tone...

Put on a good show, and no one gives a {censored} what's on stage or on the headstock...

That said, I'm somewhat interested in Edwards or Tokai/Tokia (whichever it's spelled)

• Members

I put new pups in my Joe Perry-like EPI trans-black...and it's one of my go-to workhorse guitars. One pup I had lying around (Dimarzio Super distortion), the other is JB, so for about 360....I've got an all-purpose beater, plays nice sounds good, solid rock guitar for my slash licks. I did have a rare pro setup that really helped alot. I have nicer guitars, but I can take this one to {censored}ty bars and jams w/o too much worry.

• Members

I play everything from Jazz to Hard Rock, I have 2 Epi Les Paul's I've picked up several years ago as back up guitars for my '60's Gibson LP and ES 335, too valuable to use for low paying bar gigs these days. I gig with the Epi's all the time and like them for that reason. One is a 1998 '56 Goldtop with P-90's and the other a 1996 LP ES (with F holes), both very nice and all original, I plan to keep them that way. I don't see spending more money on these guitars since they both sound great and play great. I doubt I could ever make back the difference in cost if I sold them, and it sure won't improve the most important thing, my playing skill. BTW I don't use much effects or distortion except what comes out of my amp. If you're into FX pedals and highgain I don't see much reason for swapping pickups the FX will do the work. If you play clean and want slightly better harmonics maybe a medium gain pickup is best. .

• Members

If you play clean and want slightly better harmonics maybe a medium gain pickup is best. .

just want to say in my experience that isn't true. In fact it's the opposite for me. Clean was fine...when I put some gain on it...they thinned and fizzed and squealed. The higher grade pups added richness, balance and controllable musical feedback.

EDIT: Just looking at thge pups you atek out and the ones you put in....you can see a huge difference. When you play it, you can hear the huge difference. YMMV...depending on exact model, year and use.

• Members

Awesome guitars. A pickup swap will be a noticeable improvement though. I had a bit of a lemon with a newer epi lp studio but I have a 2003 std+ and a 2007 '56 goldtop (still stock) and both are fantastic guitars in sound, build quality, and playability. They have never left me lusting after a Gibson that's for sure.

• Members

Put some decent pickups in an Epiphone LP then play it and enjoy having 1.5K to spend on something else. Is it as good? No. Then again many bands gig with a Marshall MG halfstack and you don't hear of bar crowds rioting over the substandard tone...

Put on a good show, and no one gives a {censored} what's on stage or on the headstock..

Did the same with my 2007 Epi LP (Duncan JB & Jazz) works well.

Also spent

• Members

What are your thoughts?

Epiphone? Meh, never played one i really liked. Always feels cheap and the electronics are menstrual drippings. I played a white PRS se singlecut the other day that played like butter...and I've never been a big PRS fan either.

• Members

Mmmm the PRS SE are just crap.

the epiphones on the other hand, the korean ones are the {censored}, the newer chines ones are meh there kinda light and IMO if a les paul is light in weight its already failed as a les paul.

but if you can find yourself a good korean one those are the sheet, mine is from the unsung factory, switched out the pups and ive never looked back, plays like a dream and its actually heavier than alot of gibsons ive put my hands on no joke.

• Members

the epiphones on the other hand, the korean ones are the shit, the newer chines ones are meh there kinda light and IMO if a les paul is light in weight its already failed as a les paul.

but if you can find yourself a good korean one those are the sheet,
mine is from the unsung factory, switched out the pups and ive never looked back, plays like a dream and its actually heavier than alot of gibsons ive put my hands on no joke.

:facepalm: because heavier equals better and comparing it to Gibson :facepalm:

• Members

the epiphones on the other hand, the korean ones are the {censored}, the newer chines ones are meh there kinda light and IMO if a les paul is light in weight its already failed as a les paul.

but if you can find yourself a good korean one those are the sheet, mine is from the unsung factory, switched out the pups and ive never looked back, plays like a dream and its actually heavier than alot of gibsons ive put my hands on no joke.

PRS SE's are light and weak imo. I don't care for the necks. I have two of the older Santana and Tremonti Se's. Not bad for 500, but not anything at all like a EPI LP even.

Still, you want a LP save your money and get a Gibson from a good reputable Gibson dealer. Have it set up how you want and then you won't even think about other guitars.

• Members

PRS SE's are light and weak imo. I don't care for the necks. I have two of the older Santana and Tremonti Se's. Not bad for 500, but not anything at all like a EPI LP even.

Still, you want a LP save your money and get a Gibson from a good reputable Gibson dealer. Have it set up how you want and then you won't even think about other guitars.

I haven't played many SE's, but my LP is guitar perfection to me, and my PRS SE isn't as good, but it's very nice. I'd say it's 80% of the guitar my LP is, as far as how pleasing it is to play.

• Members

I noticed this a few weeks ago. I've owned and played some Epiphones years ago and usually I was just like, "meh". But I jammed on a 2010 Epi '56 Goldtop LP a GC a while back and damn, that guitar was great. Not like the ones I have played in the past. I think Epi has really stepped up their QC recently.

• Members

Another vote for PRS SE over Epi's. Especially with different pups.

Agile's are GREAT for the money, I'd say on par with Epiphone LP.

Other honorable mentions:

Micheal Kelly

Burny

Grassroots (overseas entry level ESPs/Edwards)

Xaviere = do not buy. IMO they cross over the "inexpensive" category into the "cheap" category.

• Members

I got an Epi Les Paul Custom for Christmas and have barely been able to put it down, sounds great and is a real pleasure to play. Just feels right to me. I may decide to get new pickups at some point down the road, but they sound fine to me for now.

Anyway, if it's almost the exact same guitar as a comparable Gibson, with the same body and neck, why would it sound significantly different if it had the same pickups?

Archived