Orange TH30.....tell me more?

sirkonks

• Members

It's a good question. I'm not sure what sound I want. I would like a full sounding amp, with a decent clean/dirty clean, thick saturation that can do something like an AIC/drop-d type sound without sounding too modern, or too vintage. Does that make any sense?

• Members

It's a good question. I'm not sure what sound I want. I would like a full sounding amp, with a decent clean/dirty clean, thick saturation that can do something like an AIC/drop-d type sound without sounding too modern, or too vintage. Does that make any sense?

I didn't spend too long on it, but when I spent a few hours cranking all the Oranges they had at Gelb Music (www.gelbmusic.com) I'd say it could definitely get an AIC/grungy type sound, especially with a dirt pedal out front. If theres any amp that's "thick", it's an Orange. The Thunders are definitely more vintage voiced than modern, but it's not like a Marshall exactly...they've got their own thing going on. If you can find one, go try it out.

• Members

So the Thunder 30 is a bit more vintage voiced than the rocker(verbs)? Can it get that fuzzy OR120 style dirt? How was the mid gain sounds ala the AD30?

The videos I have seen really show off the high gain stuff, but I haven't heard much about the mid/low gain.

Also - hows it sound with a boost for some brootz?

• Members

I'm considering getting one of these OR possibly the new Mesa/Boogie Trans30..... I like that the Orange can run at lower wattage settings than the Boogie... but the Boogie does have more tone options.... but I've always been a fan of the less is more approach...

• Members

I'm considering getting one of these OR possibly the new Mesa/Boogie Trans30..... I like that the Orange can run at lower wattage settings than the Boogie... but the Boogie does have more tone options.... but I've always been a fan of the less is more approach...

FWIW I didn't like the Transatlantics much. Maybe it was the cab, I dunno. The cleans and Vox-ish-just-breaking-up tones were good, but the drives left a bit to be desired IMO.

• Members

FWIW I didn't like the Transatlantics much. Maybe it was the cab, I dunno. The cleans and Vox-ish-just-breaking-up tones were good, but the drives left a bit to be desired IMO.

ahhhh....good to know, though I have to say the clips on Mesa's site for the Trans30 sounded awesome....But I'm more interested in the Mesa because you can set it up like two single channel amps.... my typical set up is a single channel amp with dirt from pedals. My problem is when I switch from say my SG classic to my G&L the EQing is all off.... so I was thinking I could set up channel one for one guitar and channel two for another so the levels and EQ would be appropriate depending on the guitars I'm using... But the Orange still looks and sounds like a KILLER amp.

Archived