Wow - sheilding and potting really works!

asdfjkl semi

• Members

I finished a Strat for my brother over the weekend and the effect potting the pickups and shielding the body had on the guitar was truly incredible. I loosely followed the directions at guitarnuts.com and took out all the ground loops in the circuit, put copper foil all over the electronics cavity and grounded to it, saturated the pickup coils in wax, and put everything back together. The tone is just as clear as before, but now there's pretty much no 60-cycle hum or buzz or squeal or anything. It's amazing, even on the drive channel. I didn't even need to complete the ground with my hands on the strings or the bridge. Crystal clear! I wish I had taken pictures during the install process, but if you guys haven't try this, I highly recommend it. Up next is my own strat, and I will post some pictures (and maybe clips) when I do that.

Have you guys tried this? Had similar experiences?

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Ohh space for a rant! Good shielding will give a single coil as quiet as a HB, and with none of the weired tone holes inherent to S. Lovers ingenious design. HB have some complex sh*t happening with your precious string signal, while well shielded singles are "pure" and clean body-mind-soul-spirit instantly uniting One! All-One! Absolute cleanliness is Godliness! to paraphrase Dr. Bronner...

Archived