EVH D Tuna, Do i need to block my trem?

lenster

• Members

I used to have the WD trem stabilizer in my strat. It worked ok. I stumbled upon this website ( http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/ ) and bought the goldo backbox from whoever runs it. It's great. I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but I wanted to be able to bend notes fairly far and not have the rest of the strings go out of tune as well as be able to drop to D regularly. This solved both of my problems.

• Members

i like the idea of the tremol-no where you can set it as a hardtail, diving only or full floating.

That way when you drop to D you can set to HT or dive then switch back standard tuning and floating if required.

Seems to be issues with the thumb lock screws loosening from what i've read.

Anyone know of this?

• Members

You dont NEED to block the trem. Ive ran a Dtuna both ways. When its floating the strings will go out of tune some what when its dropped. Not a huge issue at band practice or bedroom wanking. Its just like dropping the E to D with out the tuna. I used to block the bridge to dive only with pennies taped to the block. Cheap, no permanent mods, just takes some time to setup.

With any floating bridge there will be some sort of compromise. Either block it, dont change tunings, or deal with its issues.

• Members

The Tremol-no looks like my prefered option but doesn't have the best reviews.

I just bought a tremelno, just installed it yesterday, but so far it does what it's supposed to do. Once you lock all 3 thumb screws down, the bridge doesn't go anywhere, which is nice. I haven't had any issues with it moving around when locked down or in dive only mode. The only problem I had was I had to re-drill the hole in the sustain block, because the holes were at a approx. 30 degree angle. I bought a pin type, so the pin and front clamp wouldn't sit flush when I tightened it. So I drilled the same hole strait down, sits flush now, it's on there good and tight, no issues from me yet but it's only been a day.

If you install it correctly, I would say its a great option. I may put a D-tuna on my guitar as well.

• Members

Question, I have 2 Floyd guitars that I've never had in floating position, but am contemplating it. I usually have my guitars set up twice a year. If I choose to have it floating, and use a WD trem stabilizer so I can use my D tuna, will I have to make adjustments to the Floyd more often? I don't really know how to adjust the Floyd myself(but would like to learn).

• Members

i had a tremolno and it was ok but just couldn't grip the bar that it slides on enough to fully lock down on it. you'd have to use allen wrench screws.

I use one of those little L brackets screwd into the cavity with the screw that pushes up against the block to keep it dive only. Works well.

Might I also suggest a big brass block upgrade on your floyd. made a world of difference on my C66's original floyd.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/

• Members

i had a tremolno and it was ok but just couldn't grip the bar that it slides on enough to fully lock down on it. you'd have to use allen wrench screws.

I use one of those little L brackets screwd into the cavity with the screw that pushes up against the block to keep it dive only. Works well.

Might I also suggest a big brass block upgrade on your floyd. made a world of difference on my C66's original floyd.

Yeah looked at them too.

i'll go with a triple order.

Trem block , D tuna and Brass big block and do it all in one sett up.

Cool.

Thanx for the tips.

• Members

Am I the only guy who sets up the fine tuner for the E string where it can be adjusted for drop D?
:idk:

No :D

I used to do that when I had blocked the Floyd on my Charvel. It could dive but pulling was blocked. I tought the Tremol-No would be the "miracle" device but it's fine for basement practice or even some rehearsing but in a "live" situation, it looses its stability (screws get loose).

Anyway, my solution was 2 guitars with Floyds! :D One in regular tuning, the other in drop-D.

Archived