Here I go again... again... Frank N. Stein II

• Members

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Wow. Going big. It should sound awesome! I've been looking for one on the bay and there is no way to get one cheap. I will be going the cheaper route I believe. Maybe a SD Custom, I'll lurk around the EVH website and do some research. Good luck. Post a soundbyte when its done.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, Frank N. Stein II breathed his first breath last night. I have to do a few more things to complete it, but they're minor. The 3-way switch slot on the pickguard isn't cut yet and I need to do the scuffs of light blue paint on the bottom edges of the body. Here's a few pics from last night. I'll take better ones outside when the sun comes up.

Front_6-28-07.jpg

FRouteCloseUp.jpg

reflectors.jpg

The pic of the reflectors is off on the color. Using the flash makes the picture too dark because of the reflectors and indoor lighting messes with the color.

• Members

Mo better pics...

6-28-07BodyClose_Done.jpg

I'm far from an expert on EVH Frankenstrat type instruments, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I was looking at that $25,000.00 EVH FrankenStrat at my local Guitar Center and I noticed something unexpected.

The butt-end of the the guitar's neck (the surface nearest the neck pickup) was flat, like a Tele's neck--not oval, like a Strat's neck. Even through the Neck obviously had a Strat type headstock.

The body did have a oval route, like any Strat's would, but the Tele type end of the neck was bolted (rather ill-fittingly) into the the Strat neck-pocket. (There been many threads on the subject of whether this produces a guitar that can be properly intonated, so I'm not going to touch that subject).

At this point, all you EVH experts are probably saying, "Pfft! Who doesn't know that?", but it was the first time I had noticed it, and I notice that the "Frankenstrat" pictured doesn't follow quite exactly with EVH's unorthodox neck/body match-up.

But all-in-all you did a great job on your FrankenStrat.

• Members

There's a few different designs I think. The neck fits on some and doesn't on others. I have a neck I'm selling on eBay right now that's got a square heal and I was going to put it on this but decided to sell it after looking through some pics of the original Frankenstein. I believe the neck that was installed on the original was this Strat style from the Black/Yellow Striped Charvel and that had a rounded more standard Strat Heal.

I could be wrong... there's so many questions when it come to EVH and his gear.

• Members

you done a great job man buh i never get why u wud want a pre f****d guitar man i mean you did a great job bet dont you prefer them scuff free i mean i get po'd if a new guitar has dent in it

LOL kidding man what would a frankenstrat be without being f'd

• Members

:thu:
Wow. Going big. It should sound awesome! I've been looking for one on the bay and there is no way to get one cheap. I will be going the cheaper route I believe. Maybe a SD Custom, I'll lurk around the EVH website and do some research. Good luck. Post a soundbyte when its done.

P

Eddie's tone is mostly in the amp, not pickup... he used several guitars throughout the "brown sound" period that lasted between '78 and '84. The frankie (which is believed to be swamp ash) in it's various stages, the kramer 5150 (which is believed to be poplar or basswood), other various kramers, an Ibanez Destroyer was used on at least 3 songs from the first album, a Korina Gibson V was used on 3 or 4 songs from 1984. All these guitars had different pickups and different woods but the "brown sound" is still there - because the brown sound is in Eddie's fingers and Eddie's amps.

• Members

those are absolutely amazing, i love the yellow and black one as well, i wish synths or keyboards could look this cool =/. Would it be easy to try and get a paint job on a synth case? Maybe even do the keys?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Played the $25k Replica the other day and in my endless pursuit of perfection I promptly dismantled and stripped Frankenstein II.

I learned a lot about the body of this guitar by holding the EVH Replica. I knew the heal was square on the Replica but didn't do that so that's one thing I changed. The other is the pickup cavity; there are some interesting things going on in there.

Here's a picture of the neck I made for #III; I have a little bit more work to do on this like locking nut holes and overall brutalizing.

DSCN1888_sm.jpg

DSCN1889_sm.jpg

DSCN1890_sm.jpg

• Members

kyle that body and neck you made me is amazing! not only does it look great,but it plays better than most of my other guitars i have.it sustains for days!i cant thank you enough.when i get it painted ill post some pics!!!

• Members

I don't get it. I mean, you're obviously an incredible craftsman and your attention to detail is unequaled. And I have nothing but respect for EVH and his impact on rock guitar in general. What I don't get is why you would go to all this trouble to replicate this guitar. And please forgive my ignorance, but isn't this a guitar that EVH doesn't even play anymore? Again, no disrespect to anyone is intended.

• Members

I don't get it. I mean, you're obviously an incredible craftsman and your attention to detail is unequaled. And I have nothing but respect for EVH and his impact on rock guitar in general. What I don't get is why you would go to all this trouble to replicate this guitar. And please forgive my ignorance, but isn't this a guitar that EVH doesn't even play anymore? Again, no disrespect to anyone is intended.

Actually Eddie has recorded everything up to 5150 on this type of guitar. His bastard strat was his main Axe. Then he switched to the 1984 Kramer which was admittedly slightly better.

IMO if you want to Eddie tone, buying a 1984 Kramer is the wisest thing you can do for $600. I did and its the best guitar I ever owned for the Eddie sound hands down.

Nice job on the Frankie.

• Members

Actually Eddie has recorded everything up to 5150 on this type of guitar. His bastard strat was his main Axe. Then he switched to the 1984 Kramer which was admittedly slightly better.

IMO if you want to Eddie tone, buying a 1984 Kramer is the wisest thing you can do for $600. I did and its the best guitar I ever owned for the Eddie sound hands down.

Nice job on the Frankie.

Thanks! I'm doing the original Black/White version now.

• Members

Awesome job, very nice!

Think you could post up some pics on neck construction some day? I've made bodies before but fretboard slotting and shaping the back of a neck is still somewhat intimidating to me.

Archived