NAD - VINTAGE BASSMAN CONTENT.

SteveiJobzz

• Members

This is rather belated, since my computer died and all I had was my iPad.

Anywho. I scored a Bassman for 375 from the same guy I bought an Ampeg combo from.

It's in OK condition. It was poorly retolexed and its got some age, but aside from the power tubes, it's all original (except the tube retainers which I BELIEVE are aftermarket).

It sounds totally godlike. The cleans are impeccable. I can't wait to take it out of my apartment and crank it.

The only thing is. It's obviously a silverface cosmetically, but the dates on both the OT and PT (and choke I think) indicate that they were made in 1965. But silverface came around in 1967. So either it was like FIRST production, or the transformers were changed shortly after it was made (to mod back to AA864?). If anyone knows or has experience in the matter, chime in because I am slightly confused.

On to pics.

4g3m9g.jpg

kdjywl.jpg

ng57yt.jpg

23hvggg.jpg

• Members

I've seen some do the BF mods, but honestly I have not noticed that much of a change just circuit wise. There are some differences. A few places online to get actual kits. You can try it, but like I said, these basic kits are not like the full Torres ones.

http://www.amprepairparts.com/ampkits.htm

If it was me, I'd start with new electrolytic caps and change the plate resistors to metal film to make it quieter. Those old ones (carbon comp) can make the amp sound like a bowl of rice crispies with no input sometimes. You also might have to change some pots since those are carbon comp and usually a culprit of hissy noises. Most of the time you are ok to clean them. I would however swap the plate resistors.

HNAD

• Members

I'm probably not going to change the circuit. I'm not a corksniffer by any means. I was just wondering why the transformers are from '65 when the amp SHOULDN'T have been made before '67.

Oh well. It sounds great. May need a pot cleaning though.

Probably because the Tranny was instock and ready to go during the time your amp was being made....

• Members

Most of the parts were interchangeable. Same caps, switches, pots, etc. There were some that used to try to date the amp by the transformer date, but some transformer stock made it over even after the big change. Hard to say, but hell the transformer could have been swapped at one point in the life of that amp too. It's only going on 50 years old or so... unless you know the amp's complete history it's hard to say much about those part dates.

Archived