Need headphone setup, moving into condo

• Members

Right now I'm using a Deliverance 120 and Mesa Studio 22+ among other things. I'm an audiophile and very serious about my playing, I won't play through crap as I don't enjoy playing if I don't like what I hear. I'm being forced to downsize into a condo, I wouldn't be able to turn any of my amps above the .5 mark and as I'm an intermediate guitarist still very much learning I need to hear clearly what I'm playing so I can fix mistakes in my technique and improve.

That said, I'm looking for high quality headphones and probably some sort of modeler to run through my PC and out the headphones (ability to output through PC speakers on occasion would be nice as well). My budget is around 500-600 dollars, it's not much so I know I'll probably have to compromise.

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

EDIT: Guess I should mention what type of music I play as well, it's mainly classic metal, (think Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater), but also dabble in classical and do a lot of classic rock. I'm assuming most headphone setups would be pretty versatile so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Members

oof.. tough quandary.

could also grab yourself a practice space someplace too.

not a big fan of headphones-- you could do the interface and deal with wierdnesses in latency.. as good as stuff's getting, i still don't like playing through sims, 'cause they're slow (at least through an interface!).. so that won't really let you address the subtletys of feel.. which i think is pretty important.

another option might be to practice unplugged, or just grab a solid state amp that works-- that way your feel doesn't get SUPER destroyed by lower volume- but neither the .22 or the deliverance will sound great SUPER low volume. the .22 will work for higher gain stuff down low... but clean.. meh.

• Members

Well I got some awesome headphones today. Beyer 770 pros, sound absolutely incredible for everything. Now just need to find a sim or modeler I like. I tried the Zoom 7.1 with the headphones and it sounded really good for clean and high gain stuff, just couldn't really do middle gain too good. Anybody have experience with the Zoom or other floor modeling units? I think something like that would be best for me.

• Members

How exactly do amp plugins work? Just plug the guitar in using a 1/4th mono to 1/8th stereo adapter into the sound card then plug in headphones then I can use them like any other program? I have no experience with any sort of modeling so please forgive my ignorance. If I can get decent sound through the computer without using any sort of pedal that would be fine by me.

• Members

Your PC's stock soundcard will probably suffer from latency. ASIO4ALL may help, still a good audio interface would be better if your going to go PC/amp sims etc. I've been practicing all day with my Pocket Pod, works for me. Playing unplugged is not the same, some things you need to hear amplified.

Archived