PRS guys...need opinions on PICKUPS.

Johansolo

• Members

i now have 2 completely different PRS...and thinking bout changing pickups

twoPRSside.jpg

1994 standard 24 - mahagony body/neck with the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups

ive never been a fan of ceramic magnets...and the HFS...well...i dont think ill keep it for long. the vintage bass is ok...but id prefer something like a Paf pro/59 style pup (which i already have on another guitar) what after markets have you guys tried out in mahagony body PRS? i dont want another guitar with a JB.

i want something that isnt mega high output (i want to work the amp more) and can suit all styles.

1990 CE24 - alder body w/maple top/neck with Seymour Duncan Custom5/Jazz pickups.

for purely aesthtic reasons...i want nickel covers and to change back the pickup rings to beige..im happy to get some nickel covers and install them BUT i have an opportunity to trade for a set of Dragons (not sure Is or IIs...whatever comes in a CE22)

anyone tried Dragons in a 24 fret model? ie was there any reason they come stock in the 22 fret versions.

decisions decisions...any suggestions?

• Members

You might try finding a PAF style with an AlNiCo IV magnet....it sounds pretty damn good. The magnet strength isn't as much as an AlNiCo V, and they sound really sweet. I am aware of only a couple, two boutique companies make some BKP and Motorcity....Tonerider also has one, and I absolutely loved it in a chunk of mahogany!

Cole

• Members

i now have 2 completely different PRS...and thinking bout changing pickups

twoPRSside.jpg

1994 standard 24 - mahagony body/neck with the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups

ive never been a fan of ceramic magnets...and the HFS...well...i dont think ill keep it for long. the vintage bass is ok...but id prefer something like a Paf pro/59 style pup (which i already have on another guitar) what after markets have you guys tried out in mahagony body PRS? i dont want another guitar with a JB.

i want something that isnt mega high output (i want to work the amp more) and can suit all styles.

1990 CE24 - alder body w/maple top/neck with Seymour Duncan Custom5/Jazz pickups.

for purely aesthtic reasons...i want nickel covers and to change back the pickup rings to beige..im happy to get some nickel covers and install them BUT i have an opportunity to trade for a set of Dragons (not sure Is or IIs...whatever comes in a CE22)

anyone tried Dragons in a 24 fret model? ie was there any reason they come stock in the 22 fret versions.

decisions decisions...any suggestions?

I have a WCR Godwood in my Standard, kicks ass for a big fat tone.

If you can get ahold of of Dragon Is then I would definitely give those a shot, great pickups. The Dragon IIs not so much, I would pass on those.

Any particular styles of music you play or certain tones you are going for?

• Members

I have a WCR Godwood in my Standard, kicks ass for a big fat tone.

If you can get ahold of of Dragon Is then I would definitely give those a shot, great pickups. The Dragon IIs not so much, I would pass on those.

Any particular styles of music you play or certain tones you are going for?

i want both the guitars to be "all rounders", which is hte reason why i buy PRS guitars. i have a LP and a Strat which cover the genuine tones.

the red one is going to be in E standard...and i want it to have a range of usable sounds, but also have that signature PRS lead guitar sound ...(one for my fav PRS players is mikael akerfeldt from opeth)

the black one sounds great as it is...the jazz neck has a really mid scooped crystal clear pristine clean and smooth high gain lead sound...and the custom5 is basically a PAF on stereoids. i just want to return the guitar to a more tradditional look and want the nickel covers. i may just get the covers and install tehm and hopefully the results wont be too different to what im used too now.

ive owneda whole heaps of SD,Dimarzios...so now have access to lots of other brands + a local luthier that makes his own custom pups (ormsby guitars) and another well known aussie pickup winder(brieley pickups)

so hard to make a decision

• Members

Yes, speak to Mick Brierly if you haven't already. He seems to have a knack for understanding what you want and producing a pickup that suits your specs. I'm sure Perry Ormsby could offer some good suggestions too.

I have a duncan custom in my std24. Can't say that I'm thrilled with it, one of these days I'll get around to swapping it out.

• Members

It's on my "to-do" list.

My Custom 24 has Dragons, but I want something with a more vintage sound to it, I want to keep the switching capabilities, coil splitting etc. but the stock pups just sound too "modern" or bland I guess.

• Members

i want both the guitars to be "all rounders", which is hte reason why i buy PRS guitars. i have a LP and a Strat which cover the genuine tones.

the red one is going to be in E standard...and i want it to have a range of usable sounds, but also have that signature PRS lead guitar sound ...(one for my fav PRS players is mikael akerfeldt from opeth)

Akerfeldt has Duncans in most of his guitars I believe

• Members

Yes, speak to Mick Brierly if you haven't already. He seems to have a knack for understanding what you want and producing a pickup that suits your specs. I'm sure Perry Ormsby could offer some good suggestions too.

I have a duncan custom in my std24. Can't say that I'm thrilled with it, one of these days I'll get around to swapping it out.

ill be taking the guitar to ormsby for a setup/service soon so ill have a chat to him.

RE the Duncan Custom...the pickup in my CE24 (the black one) used to be a Custom. all i did was replace the magnet bar with an alnico 5...thus technically converting it to a Custom 5. (its really easy to do, pm me if you need info) and the difference was very noticable. gone were all the qualities i associate with ceramic bars (harsh top end) and its great.

magnets are cheap too.

• Members

A PRS is a tricky guitar to find the right pickup for, wish you the best in your quest.

That being said, the best PRS pickup that I like out of all of them (#6, #7, HFS, vintage bass, Tremonti treble) the HFS sounded to be the most appropriate. Middy with a solid voicing.

Then I tried some Sheptone pickups - obvious improvement in every way for the PRS but they weren't perfect. They didn't have that bottom end chunk that you could lean back on as they got mushy to my tastes with super high gain (mushy compared to other pickups even though they hold up pretty well for what they are).

I would cation you and stick to something that has a firm voice and a stout midrange character - those seem to match up the best with the somewhat weird PRS voicing.

I would look at something like a Bare Knuckle Black Dog or something that gives a smokey, alnico V flavoring.

SD 59' sounds like a very good choice :thu:

• Members

In my Alder Body CE24, after 3 sets of pickups including

-Signature Don Lace

-Manlius Custom

-PRS DGTs

I have finally landed on a set of Dragon IIs and loving it.

oooh...tell me moar!!! do you have anyclips?

i have a possible trade for some Dragon IIs from a friends CE22...he hates them and wants my duncans.

ive never heard Dragons IIs in a 24 fret.

• Members

also...the 57/08s are now readily available to me...theyre $400(AUD) a set.

my guitar teacher bought 2 sets of them and i got to try them out in his 2 PRS CU22s last night.

they certainly are nice pickups! but im not to i would want to put them in my alder body PRS, more the mahogany...but i want to keep that one with the open coil look

• Members

the main thing i dont like about stock pups is...with the HFS when the volume knob is on full its got too much sizzle/grainy charactertics in the top end and i dont like it for rhythms, but its nice for high gain leads.. with the volume backed off slightly

Archived