Instant "holy sh**, this amp is fun to use" 1x12 boutique combo amps

rlm297

• Members

I'm in the market for a 1x12 boutique combo amp.

Something that'll give me a great basic rhythm tone for an album I'm recording. Something akin to the Buzzcocks, Johnny Thunders, or "Don't Believe the Truth" era Oasis. Overdriven and loud, but not bone crushing. But not "beautiful break up" overdrive either.

What is the boutique 1x12, you plugged into and said, "Holy sh**, this amp is awesome. I could totally see myself bashing out chords with this."

I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus and am looking for a 1x12 boutique combo I can run into it straight. No pedals. Just my guitar, cable, and amp.

I'm after warm, open, and loose sounds. And something I won't have to use an attenuator or distortion pedal with. It doesn't have to get clean, clean.. I'm looking for the best mild-overdrive to overdrive amp.

No chimey or ice pick sounding amps, or generic Marshall JCM900 sounds. I'm hoping someone might know of something a little more special out there.

Nothing Guitar Center would have. Something handbuilt.

Something that's fun to play.

• Members

I had the pleasure of playing a Matchless Clubman when I was cutting a track for an indie movie soundtrack in 2003. The engineer threw me into the guitar room, plugged my guitar into it, and said "Dial yourself up a sound while I work from the control room." I twiddled and played for 15 minutes and literally could not get it to sound anything less than spectacular. I could have played that thing all afternoon, but at $150 an hour, they hurried me along. :(

• Members

samamp VAC 45. Nothing else can touch it. Dude is local too. Very unique and innovative design approach...uses various wattage light bulbs in the power section to manipulate the power output!

http://www.samamp.com/index.html

I've gigged with the VAC 45 and it whooped the hell out of a fender blues deville 4x10 and an AC30 2x12.

• Members

samamp VAC 45. Nothing else can touch it. Dude is local too. Very unique and innovative design approach...uses various wattage light bulbs in the power section to manipulate the power output!

http://www.samamp.com/index.html

I've gigged with the VAC 45 and it whooped the hell out of a fender blues deville 4x10 and an AC30 2x12.

:lol: A poor mans variac.

• Members

I was sitting in a recording session and this dude brought out an old Ampeg Gemini I. Simple 57 on that bitch and I was stunned how well that amp tracked. He paid $175 for it. Best reverb and dynamics range I had heard in a long time. Amp wasn't loud, but dirts up pretty quick on the vol pot. Bad thing they said is finding tubes for it. Uses some odd number tubes that are pricey and in limited qty.

• Members

I would recommend a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr, except for two things: first, I only tried the head (the the folks with the combo version rave about it), and second, you pretty much have to run it with an attenuator -- it's a freakin' LOUD 18 watts. But it definitely induces the reaction you're looking for. :thu:

Archived