OT: Harmonizer pedals - What are my options other than a PitchFactor?

RiffDaemon

• Members

In my recent surge of pedal gas, I've decided it's time to get a harmonizer. In my coverband, there are quite a few songs where dual lead guitar parts would be nice, but my rhythm guitarist isn't much of a lead player and he has rhythm parts to play under those solos anyway. For example: Boston's "Peace of Mind" and "More Than a Feeling," Ratt's "Round and Round" (second half of the main solo), Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "No One Like You", etc. etc. I'm just sick of feeling naked when I'm playing a solo that's supposed to have a harmony to it.

I'll also be using the harmonizer for stuff outside the band, such as harmonized speed-metal solos a la Helloween, Blind Guardian, and such.

So, what are my options for a harmonizer pedal? I'm sure some of you guys have experience with these things. My first gut feeling is to go Eventide and snag a PitchFactor, but is there anything out there that can suit my needs for cheaper? Speaking of needs, it needs to be an intelligent harmonizer; playing strict intervals wouldn't work for what I need.

:wave:

• Members

I was gonna say Digitech. I can't even think of any besides Eventide, Digitech, and Boss.

I got a HD500, and I have been pretty impressed with the harmony on there, but you are probably not looking at a Multi-FX...

• Members

I was gonna say Digitech. I can't even think of any besides Eventide, Digitech, and Boss.

I got a HD500, and I have been pretty impressed with the harmony on there, but you are probably not looking at a Multi-FX...

I've had a bit of gas for an all-inclusive unit in lieu of my pedalboard for effects. Hell, I've been thinking of getting a multi to throw in my loop for more expansive options for modulations, delays, and such. And yet, I completely forgot about multies when thinking of harmonizers. So yeah, thanks for bringing that to my attention: The HD500 is duly noted :thu:

• Members

I tried the Harmony Man and it is a great sounding pedal.

It didn't work out for me in my rig because of the way it has to be hooked up in order to use the amp's distortion and the lack of MIDI control.

Fwiw, in those clips I did, I just ran the HarmonyMan in my loop like I would any other pedal. When I used the distortion loop, I got ground loop hum, and the pedal seems to track just fine without it. Fx send to pedal input, pedal output to fx return = :love: .... ymmv, though. :idk:

• Members

Ok, so the PS-6 has my attention. It sounds pretty damned convincing in demos, and I like that it can do trem dives without an expression pedal. Very neat-o. However, I'm worried about key changes. If I'm soloing in one key and then have to change to another, I'm basically fucked, yes? The HarmonyMan is kinda bi-winning here since it can either detect the key from my rhythm guitarist's signal or I can smack a preset to change keys on the fly. (Edit: TRI-winning with that MusiEQ)

Or I could just buy two PS-6's :o

• Members

I had this, let a friend borrow it, it got stolen.

MAJOR. BUMMOUT.

still want to get another, just haven't really gotten to it. Not a priority. You would be very, very pleased with this.

Wait... you let a friend borrow it, and while it was in his possession, it got stolen, and you HAVEN'T made him buy you a new one?! :facepalm:

• Members

Really? You wouldn't at all feel responsible? I sure as hell would.

I think he meant he wouldn't make the guy buy him a new one.

In all honesty, unless the guy was just destitute, I'd probably ask him to replace it (although HAVING to ask in the first place would speak volumes to me about that person's character), not MAKE him replace it. I just would never loan him {censored} again, and downgrade the friendship level accordingly.

• Members

I dunno, to each his own, I suppose, and I don't mind letting a good friend borrow something, but I just know that if I were the one borrowing something from someone, and something happened to it, I'd INSIST on replacing it.

I agree. I just also never would assume that my friends would have an extra $300 (retail) laying around. If they were able to get it back to me, that would be killer. But I would have to just write it off. Money poisons friendships and I would hate for that to happen with somebody who I like to be around. I mean, it's just a pedal.

• Members

I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect it.

It would be nice, but it's the same thing IMO as letting a friend borrow money: you just have to be able to afford to write that {censored} off or it's going to effect your friendship in a bad way.

• Members

I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect it.

It would be nice, but it's the same thing IMO as letting a friend borrow money: you just have to be able to afford to write that {censored} off or it's going to effect your friendship in a bad way.

Fair enough. But IMO, that kinda friend who doesn't have the decency to return borrowed money, is a friend not worth keeping around.

• Members

I agree. I just also never would assume that my friends would have an extra $300 (retail) laying around. If they were able to get it back to me, that would be killer. But I would have to just write it off. Money poisons friendships and I would hate for that to happen with somebody who I like to be around. I mean, it's just a pedal.

I really don't think of it as a matter of "money", though. I view it as a matter of principle. Someone who's a TRUE friend wouldn't put you in a position where it's an issue in the first place. Like I said, I'd probably look at it a little differently if the guy was just absolutely destitute, but if he's NOT, he should do the right thing and not screw you out of YOUR hard-earned money like that. That, to me, reeks of selfishness and a poor excuse for a friend.

To each his own, though.

• Members

Thing is, most if not all of my friends would likely replace it and I wouldn't refuse it. I just can't stand being lorded over regarding something careless that's completely my fault when I'M trying to fix it so I wouldn't do that to a friend.

Archived