Happy New Amp Day To ME!!! :)

clund

• Members

Last week I picked up an Orange TH30 off craigslist -- NEW In the box! For $750. I have NO idea how I got so damn lucky -- not sure if it fell of the truck or what, but I completely lucked out for sure.

I can't say enough about how great this amp is!!!

The clean channel is very sweet sounding... I would dare even say ALMOST as sweet sounding as my Fender DRRI (which I just sold). -- Now I don't want to get the the panties wadded up of the Fender fans out there - I AM ONE OF YA... Fender cleans are the best - bar NONE. But this thing is seriously ALMOST as good.

The Overdrive channel is just as great... It can go from Sweet - touch sensitive slight overdrive to Holy Crap that is a LOT of GAIN by just moving the gain knob. I find the gain very usable from about 9 o'clock to about 2-3 o'clock... Anything less than that it gets a little thin, and anything more than that brings out too much noise and compression.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

• Members

HNAD and thats a really good price

I liked the amp but 2 things bothered me a lil bit, the lack of EQing and the volume difference between the clean and OD channels (volume drop) it was a cool amp though, a orange vibe/tone but with a lil tighter/modern sound. The effects loop was pretty cool as well

enjoy and report back!

:thu:

• Members

I do agree with your 2 points... but they don't bother me - and I have found solutions for both.

The 2 tone controls on the clean channel are more than enough - I'm sure you are talking about the single "Shape" control on the dirt channel. I would like to have a little more ability to tweak, BUT the shape control is SURPRISINGLY usable. I only like the knob between 10 o'clock and about 2 o'clock - but at 10-it's very sweet slightly mid - high/mid bumped - nice grinding overdrive. And at 2 o'clock it gives you a slightly bumped High and Low with a slightly scooped mid. I usually run it around noon - maybe a little less and I have an MXR EQ in the loop setup with a smiley face for when I need to get the Metal sounds.

And as for the volume difference... Yes... the Gain channel is a slight volume drop compared to the same knob setting of the clean channel -- but that is because the clean channel has no master volume. I simply crank up the dirt channel - keeps the levels at the same output.

I can't say enough about the multiple output tube options too... I really don't like the Half/Full (drops voltage in the power tubes) -- but having the ability to pull 2 power tubes out of the mix is great! I usually run it at two tubes and let me tell you - the 15 watts is MORE than enough for the small clubs my band plays.

• Members

I about got one of these instead of my Blackmore. I'm still really interested in them, I just didn't hear enough modern metal clips to really be able to tell. Plus I was questionable about it keeping up volume-wise with my 6505+ in a stereo setup.

HNAD man!

• Members

I about got one of these instead of my Blackmore. I'm still really interested in them, I just didn't hear enough modern metal clips to really be able to tell. Plus I was questionable about it keeping up volume-wise with my 6505+ in a stereo setup.

HNAD man!

Thanks!!! So in comparison - the other guitarist in my band, who runs a Peavey XXX, and I did a volume check between our amps. My Orange set full volume on the dirty channel and gain about 2/3 the way up (Anything beyond that is a bit too much for me). He had to have his a little bit above half way to meet it. I will tell you this... You could probably hear them both about a half a mile away!!! This 30 watt is NO joke... even 15 watt can get CRAZY loud and even 7 watt on FULL volume would be way to loud for any gig I play - could even drown out my drummer. When it comes to tube watts... HALF the loudness of 100watt amp is a 10 watt amp. Don't let 30 watts fool you. It would keep up for sure!

• Members

Thanks!!! So in comparison - the other guitarist in my band, who runs a Peavey XXX, and I did a volume check between our amps. My Orange set full volume on the dirty channel and gain about 2/3 the way up (Anything beyond that is a bit too much for me). He had to have his a little bit above half way to meet it. I will tell you this... You could probably hear them both about a half a mile away!!! This 30 watt is NO joke... even 15 watt can get CRAZY loud and even 7 watt on FULL volume would be way to loud for any gig I play - could even drown out my drummer. When it comes to tube watts... HALF the loudness of 100watt amp is a 10 watt amp. Don't let 30 watts fool you. It would keep up for sure!

Eh, surprisingly I'm not sure that'd be loud enough.

When I had my XXX, I would have to be over noon on the master with full pre volume to keep up. I've always been plagued with heavy hitting drummers.

• Members

{censored}. Live playing I have my XXX at 3/4 plus to hang with our drummer. We do play loud hard and heavy mostly. I have read from others that the compression of the orange doesn't really help it keep up on full volume. Maybe a 60 watt in the future? I love EL84s.

But it is a great sounding amp from all the demos. And the single shape knob is excellent. This isn't a lack of eqing. It does go from mid hump to V and really, live, I'd rather have the shape knob of the orange than an axe-fx crap interface trying to fill the sound with sag options through submenus.

• Members

I did a quick video demo of my new Orange TH-30 Amp - Dirty Channel. Give it a listen... I ran through a few shape and gain settings. The amp was only turned up about 1/4 the way in 15 watt mode. Playing was a bit sloppy, but you can get an idea about the amount of gain this amp has. I will try and do a video of the clean channel sometimes soon.

[video=youtube;UaaouUti7Cc]

• Members

Congrats!

Yeah, I saw that add.

Bring the {censored}er to ampfest! Seriously, you're right around the corner.

I will bring it... When is Ampfest!?!? I will go look.

-- Edit --

Okay, I found the Ampfest post... I play gigs both friday and saturday the weekend of ampfest (april 30)... and my kid has a baseball game that afternoon at 1pm. I will TRY My best to make it!!! If I do - I will bring my TH30 Head and my Hughes & Kettner Trilogy. Dolf - I will let you know within the Next week or so if I can make it.

- Corey

• Members

awesome amps :)

I still kinda go back and forth on kicking myself for selling mine. Of course I love my new Orange even more, but I think I should have just kept both. Can do everything from low gain crunchy blues to modern high gain stuff, with a vintage twist. I mean, it sounds killer.

plus the wattage selection is great for messing around.

I thought the clean channel was too clean. not quite at all like a Fender. more like overly clean, kinda springy and didn't take to pedals that well. The difference in teh channel volumes... well, if you visually set the volumes then sure they may seem unbalanced, but... I literally just turned up the clean channel to match. it was just that easy. :idk:

The gain knob is kinda sensitive. You can feel each gain stage kicking in. Around noon was perfect for me and my Tele.

• Members

Oh... And Dolf - you play in Confused Little Girl? I came out to one of your shows at Oden's Den about maybe a year or so ago (maybe more). The bass player in my band told me about the show. Had a blast - great music too!

• Members

Clip sounds good, mang.

Oh... And Dolf - you play in Confused Little Girl? I came out to one of your shows at Oden's Den about maybe a year or so ago (maybe more). The bass player in my band told me about the show. Had a blast - great music too!

Oh {censored}, you're in Kevin's band right? Congrats, man, he mentioned that you've been wanting an Orange for some time. Now you HAVE to come to ampfest and see my sweet orange/6x12 rig. I was playing my old Bassman/fender4x12/fuzz factory setup when you guys saw us last.

• Members

awesome amps
:)

I still kinda go back and forth on kicking myself for selling mine. Of course I love my new Orange even more, but I think I should have just kept both. Can do everything from low gain crunchy blues to modern high gain stuff, with a vintage twist. I mean, it sounds killer.

plus the wattage selection is great for messing around.

I thought the clean channel was too clean. not quite at all like a Fender. more like overly clean, kinda springy and didn't take to pedals that well. The difference in teh channel volumes... well, if you visually set the volumes then sure they may seem unbalanced, but... I literally just turned up the clean channel to match. it was just that easy.
:idk:

The gain knob is kinda sensitive. You can feel each gain stage kicking in. Around noon was perfect for me and my Tele.

I agree with all of this except I find the clean channel to be great - and I think it takes pedals pretty well... I push it with my TS9DX or my Barber Direct Drive - it sounds great.

As for the gain knob on the dirty channel - you are right on! I usually run it from a nice driven sound at about 10-11 o'clock all the way to a pretty high gain (for me) at around 2 o'clock. Just depends on the song.

• Members

YA.... Kevin is the {censored}! Best bass player I've played with! Okay.... I will put it a priority to make Ampfest - I need to check out your rig. I will see if Kevin and Jeff (our other guitarist) can make it too.

- Corey

• Members

YA.... Kevin is the {censored}! Best bass player I've played with! Okay.... I will put it a priority to make Ampfest - I need to check out your rig. I will see if Kevin and Jeff (our other guitarist) can make it too.

- Corey

Hell yeah, man. I just walked into the hangar and told Kevin about it :)

• Members

Hell yeah, man. I just walked into the hangar and told Kevin about it

Small World!!! Kevin brought me up to your shop last weekend so we could drill and mount some 1/4" pass through jacks on my PedalTrain....

Redco-PassThru1.jpg

• Members

Oh also, maybe don't bring up the whole "CLG is going on tour" thing. I try to keep this place as isolated from real life as possible and I haven't told work that I'm leaving yet. It could potentially be a serious business style mess over here if that started going around the rumor mill.

I'd really appreciate it :)

• Members

Oh also, maybe don't bring up the whole "CLG is going on tour" thing. I try to keep this place as isolated from real life as possible and I haven't told work that I'm leaving yet. It could potentially be a serious business style mess over here if that started going around the rumor mill.

I'd really appreciate it

Not a word!!!

Archived