OT: People confuse me.

Ovid9

• Members

So, about an hour ago this kid comes into our parts department. Maybe, 19-20, something like that.

He says he has a '91 Corsica and knows they came with a choice of 3 engines. 2 different 4 bangers and a 3.1 V6.

He then proceeds to ask if we could tell him if he could put a supercharged 3.8L in it.

After being told, that's not really what we do here, we're a dealership not a race shop, he gets all pissy and wants us to tell him where to go to find out if he can.

WTF?

He's young, so I guess I can forgive him not understanding that dealerships (unless they're set up with a custom shop, ours is not) aren't about doing mods and conversions to your car. We'll pass on that insurance risk thanks.

But getting pissy about it and wanting us to tell him where to go? (I was at the back counter and suggested "hell" to the guy I work with.) Dude, there's this place called teh intarw3bz. I'm pretty sure there's a forum on there for people that want to blow money putting a supercharged 3.8 in a corsica. If not, why not ask the engine shop, or one of the race-car building shops in town?

Also, why the hell would you WANT to spend the money to put a supercharged 3.8L in a Corsica?

Its only Tuesday, there's been too much stupid here this week already. :facepalm:

/blog rant

• Members

So, about an hour ago this kid comes into our parts department. Maybe, 19-20, something like that.

He says he has a '91 Corsica and knows they came with a choice of 3 engines. 2 different 4 bangers and a 3.1 V6.

He then proceeds to ask if we could tell him if he could put a supercharged 3.8L in it.

After being told, that's not really what we do here, we're a dealership not a race shop, he gets all pissy and wants us to tell him where to go to find out if he can.

WTF?

He's young, so I guess I can forgive him not understanding that dealerships (unless they're set up with a custom shop, ours is not) aren't about doing mods and conversions to your car. We'll pass on that insurance risk thanks.

But getting pissy about it and wanting us to tell him where to go? (I was at the back counter and suggested "hell" to the guy I work with.) Dude, there's this place called teh intarw3bz. I'm pretty sure there's a forum on there for people that want to blow money putting a supercharged 3.8 in a corsica. If not, why not ask the engine shop, or one of the race-car building shops in town?

Also, why the hell would you WANT to spend the money to put a supercharged 3.8L in a Corsica?

Its only Tuesday, there's been too much stupid here this week already.
:facepalm:

/blog rant

tumblr_l64o8pMLgz1qbo7v5o1_250.gif

• Members

OP, I get where you're coming from, I just had a rant about people asking me to "send them" my schedule, instead of them just looking on our website (imagine that) for it.

You have Google and the internet, but peeps just want to be told where to go instead of looking for {censored}. Crazy.

• Members

Back in the early 80s when I was laid off I worked at a local NAPA store. We had all kinds of idiots. One guy wanted to return a wiper motor that was all scratched up and had grease all over it. I said, "Sorry sir, we can't take back electrical parts if they have been installed" He proceeded to kick our front door out :eek: We had him arrested :cop:

One morning I had this BIG {censored}ing guy come across the counter after me because I asked him what make of distributor his Jeep had. This {censored}er threw a fit like a little kid :rolleyes:

I love that job :love::love::love:

• Members
Back in the early 80s when I was laid off I worked at a local NAPA store. We had all kinds of idiots. One guy wanted to return a wiper motor that was all scratched up and had grease all over it. I said, "Sorry sir, we can't take back electrical parts if they have been installed" He proceeded to kick our front door out
:eek:
We had him arrested
:cop:

One morning I had this BIG {censored}ing guy come across the counter after me because I asked him what make of distributor his Jeep had. This {censored}er threw a fit like a little kid
:rolleyes:

I love that job
:love:

:lol:

Oh man, I'm so glad I don't work in the aftermarket world. Its bad enough that GM has a bazillion cars, if it was for every make and model I'd go insane.

Though, we do work on lots of stuff in our shop. The question yesterday was "How hard is it going to be to get a camshaft for a '97 Subaru Outback."

• Members

You should have said something like this...

Sure, we could do that for you. Here's the deal...We'll order you a brand new engine, because we will not be responsible for putting a used engine in your car. The new engine will cost about $5k. Once we get that, we'll tear your old engine out, as well as all of the wiring harness, because with the newer engine, that will be useless. The new wiring harness will cost about $300 bucks if I give you a good deal. Then, we'll have to customize the wiring to work on the older gauges. This should take about 15 hours, and we charged $100/hr, so $1500 bucks. Then we'll put the engine in for you. The 3.8L is a different animal than the 3.1L. The mounts will be different and will require some fabrication. We'll likely need to fabricate new brackets for the engine mounts. Figure about $250-400 for us to do that for you.

Once the engine is actually IN the car, then we have to figure out how to get it to turn the wheels. That {censored}ty 200k mile transmission currently in your car WILL blow up if it would even bolt to the new engine. We will not be held responsible for this either. So we'll order you a brand new transmission to put behind this new engine. The transmission will be about $2000, and we'll likely need to do a little more modifications do get it to fit under there. So Add another $500 for that.

After the transmission is in, we need to get it to turn your wheels...Your old axle shafts will not work in this new application....We'll order new ones of those too at $200/pc, so there's 400, plus a 2 hour book charge ($200). If those don't work with your new hubs, being as they will undoubtebly be wider than your current car, we'll need to modify your current suspension system, which could cost upwards of $2k. After that you should be good.

Being as this is a custom install, and we're a dealership, we'd probably charge $150/200/hr for labor instead of our standard rate. So let's add this up for you bud:

$5000 crate engine

$300 wiring harness

$1500 for wiring install

$400 brackets

$2500 transmission install

$600 for new axle shafts

$2000 for necessary suspension modifications/install/fab time

TOTAL: $12,300

And we'd be happy to do that for you. OR, you could go through that door over there and talk to the salesman and buy a gently used Grand Prix GTP for about 8-10k.

The dude would have walked out, or bought a new car...win/win for you guys :lol:

• Members

Oh man, I'm so glad I don't work in the aftermarket world. Its bad enough that GM has a bazillion cars, if it was for every make and model I'd go insane.

Though, we do work on lots of stuff in our shop. The question yesterday was "How hard is it going to be to get a camshaft for a '97 Subaru Outback."

You should have seen this young kid in our store. He was mad as hell about his car being broke down. He said, "just give me some dynamite". I said OK. I went back and got three road flares and laid them on the counter. Kid just about {censored} himself LOL

• Members

When I used to work in retail, I had some hispanic dude call me a gay dicksucking perro because I wouldn't take his obviously fake check for a $500 money order. I was the manager, so I could pretty much say what I wanted. I told him "Comprende INS, mother{censored}er?" Dude left that store like he was shot out of a gun.

• Members
When I used to work in retail, I had some hispanic dude call me a gay dicksucking perro because I wouldn't take his obviously fake check for a $500 money order. I was the manager, so I could pretty much say what I wanted. I told him "Comprende INS, mother{censored}er?" Dude left that store like he was shot out of a gun.

:lol: Awesome

• Members

WTF?

Its only Tuesday, there's been too much stupid here this week already.

/blog rant

An old, old saying amongst my inner circle: "Is it Tuesday, or are they all just bastards?"

True story.

Mojo. :(

• Members

#winning

Seriously though, it was like he just had this thought "hey, this thing would be awesome with the supercharged 3.8L, i think i'll ask about that" and had NO CLUE what that would take.

This.

I love Nissan Z's, and have owned a couple, and just converting a N/A Z to turbo is hassle and costly enough that you're better off just selling the N/A and buying a turbo model. I can't imagine what it would take for a freaking CORSICA :facepalm:

Do they still sell those "electric superchargers" on ebay? :lol:

Shoulda installed one of those and charged him $2,500 bucks. Sad thing is, he probably wouldn't have known the difference :lol:

• Members

This.

I love Nissan Z's, and have owned a couple, and just converting a N/A Z to turbo is hassle and costly enough that you're better off just selling the N/A and buying a turbo model. I can't imagine what it would take for a freaking CORSICA
Do they still sell those "electric superchargers" on ebay?
Shoulda installed one of those and charged him $2,500 bucks. Sad thing is, he probably wouldn't have known the difference

The "Tornado"!!! Those things are freaking amazing! At least 50+hp gain :thu:

/sarcasm :lol:

Archived