NSSD Tomorrow

colejustesen

• Members

So after a few years of using a Xytronic soldering iron that I bought from www.guitarfetish.com. I have seen people mentioning how much they use their soldering stations, specifically the Weller stuff. I have always wanted to pull the trigger on this station, but other things usually would come first. After seeing a thread a couple of days ago about a good soldering iron, it made me take a look at ebay for this. They had it for less than what www.guitarfetish.com

So I pulled the trigger on this guy....

Xytronic 168-3C Solder Station

xyniprsost0w.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

I always thought that this would be a good unit. I hope it makes my future projects a breeze:thu:

Does anyone else have/tried this station?

Cole

• Members

I am hoping that this unit will only be better than what I am currently using, which is this iron

Xytronic 200GX

Xytronic-30-Watt-Pro-Soldering-Iron-Incrxy30waprosos.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

It has proved to be very useful, and the tips are very nice - they heat quickly, transmit heat efficiently and last a long time! It has been the best $20 I have spent on DIY equipment. The station I just ordered I got for 69.99 + $13 shipping, but I had $9 in ebay bucks that knocked the price down from that... Guitar Fetish has them for $84.95 + shipping charges.

I am eager to use it....I will probably have to wait until Saturday night before I can give it a whirl...

Cole

• Members

So I got to use my new soldering station tonight... OMG, I am in :love:

This iron stayed nice and warm, and warmed up within seconds. I couldn't believe how much better this unit is than my trusty soldering iron. I highly, highly recommend this unit for anyone wanting to get a nice unit and for a very reasonable price.

I give it :thu:x1000

Cole

• Members

Good to hear you're enjoying it. I always say one of these days I'm gonna buy myself a nice solder station and be done with the radio shack brand irons. I just haven't done it yet. Maybe your success will inspire me.

• Members

Good to hear you're enjoying it. I always say one of these days I'm gonna buy myself a nice solder station and be done with the radio shack brand irons. I just haven't done it yet. Maybe your success will inspire me.

I was really impressed with how fast it warmed up. It has a heater light indicator on the station that shows whether the element is warming up or not. The indicator light turned off in under 10 seconds and the temperature gauge showed it was hot. I have heard countless people talk about their Weller stations, but all I have had experience with was the gun style solder iron that I picked up at Lowe's. I wasn't impressed with it, I have honestly had better luck with the Xytronic stuff I have used. Oh, and if you aren't using one of these to clean your tips...

51dF667A-1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

... you are making your life much more difficult. Between having a brass wire sponge to clean the tip and fast, reliable performance from my station; it made my soldering job last night a breeze!

Cole

• Members

congrats on your new station. Please don't compare a weller solder gun with a soldering iron or station. I had one when I was a kid, and after having an iron, I am not sure what the gun is made for.

The reason I brought up the soldering gun, is because that is the only Weller I have owned.... and I wasn't impressed with the quality of it. Granted it wasn't their top of the line product, so some grain of salt needs to be taken with it. As far as the guns, I pretty sure they are used for soldering large joints probably for things like plumbing lines.

On a side note, I love your avatar.... I have a couple GSPs myself, they are such great, great dogs! Would love to see some more pictures of your pooch :thu:

Cole

• Members

The reason I brought up the soldering gun, is because that is the only Weller I have owned.... and I wasn't impressed with the quality of it. Granted it wasn't their top of the line product, so some grain of salt needs to be taken with it. As far as the guns, I pretty sure they are used for soldering large joints probably for things like plumbing lines.

On a side note, I love your avatar.... I have a couple GSPs myself, they are such great, great dogs! Would love to see some more pictures of your pooch
:thu:

Cole

:lol:That pooch is my chocolate lab. I will dig around for pics of the gsp. Both are pretty awesome dogs:thu:

• Members

:lol:That pooch is my chocolate lab. I will dig around for pics of the gsp. Both are pretty awesome dogs:thu:

Wow, your chocolate lab (in that picture) looks like it has a long snout like my GSPs.... That is a great looking dog by the way!

Cole

Archived