Your favorite guitarists who you feel deserve better toanz

Ethan3.14159

• Members

Paul Gilbert. His tone on his latest album is improved, but still too thin and bright for me.

PaulGilbert.jpg

Yours??

This ^

I saw him with Mr. Big recently and he couldn't cut through the mix on most of their set.

• Members

Disagree on Gilbert. Always been one of my favorite shredder tones, and it's nothing but improved on the new album.

Agree on Rhodes. I liked the TONE itself, but it's mix and the effects used kinda ruins the guitar on all those songs for me. But it was the 80's, so I don't really blame Randy for it. I bet if he were here today, his tone would make Zack Wylde sound like tiny tim and his ukelele.

My first though it Mattias Eklund (sp?) from Freak Kitchen. Amazing playing, but incredibly fuzzy and mushy tone. All so he can do way too many whammy harmonics, which is the least interesting thing in his repetoire.

Also, both guitarists from Pain of Salvation (but moreso Daniel). Such amazing playing, but really - stop with the damned piezo buddy!

• Members

Dio-era Vivian Campbell.

Alexi Laiho.

Vivan Campbell in Dio, you serious? :confused: The tone on Holy Diver (especially rainbow in dark) is classic Marshall/Hard Rock 101 toaanz

Im not the biggest Randy 'tone' fan either, his tone was a lil overdone at times imo

:idk:

• Members

I don't know what he used on Temple of Shadows, but I loved it.

A bunch of direct in stuff. He only uses the VH100R on one of his solo CDs. Guess he learned his lesson, sounded {censored}ing awful. Sounds like {censored} when he plays live with it too.

• Members

Vivan Campbell in Dio, you serious?
:confused:
The tone on Holy Diver (especially rainbow in dark) is
classic Marshall/Hard Rock 101 toaanz

Im not the biggest Randy 'tone' fan either, his tone was a lil overdone at times imo

:idk:

maybe you should refer to Judas Priest album 'Screaming for Vengance' to hear true Marshall/Hard Rock toanz. Vivian Campbell's tone was mediocre at best...

• Members

Chuck Schuldiner of Death on the album 'Scream Bloody Gore'.... LOVE the music and intensity, but, holy paper-thin MG toanz, batman!!!

EDIT: i think the post-production and compression on that album ultimately {censored}ed the guitar tone and made it super thin sounding

Archived