New Vox Amp poll

stratrulz

• Members

Looking at getting another amp, preferably a lower watt Vox.

I was looking at the Vox Hand-Wired AC15HW1,

then I saw all the varieties? Now I'm curious what you

guys think? I've only owned one Vox in my time, an AC15

but the handwired version looks cool, but I might miss the

tremolo and reverb? After trying, I didn't care for the Night Train

or lil versions, just not enough jangle but I included them.

JMIs are waaaaaaaaaaay to rich for me blood.

• Members

have you played the AC15??

i like them. they are the heaviest 15 watt amp out there and likely the loudest too.

:thu:

I owned an AC15 about ten years ago. I remember it being very cool and despite the warnings about quality, etc., it was pretty sound? I might go that route again. I was really interested in the Handwired. The first two seem similar but I'm really curious about the differences, pros/cons. I would miss the reverb/tremolo however.

Vox Hand-Wired AC15HW1 VS. Vox AC15H1TV Heritage Series - Pro/Cons?

• Members

You didn't leave me a choice to vote on. None of the above sound like an old Vox amp.

For the money you would spend on an AC15HW or 30HW, go and buy yourself an old

AC10. You will have a ripping old Vox that can do MANY things well. Well... with the

exception of loud and clean at the same time that is.

Gary

• Members

The AC15H1TV, along with a Carmen Ghia, is my main amp. Absolutely LOVE it! But really, without the EF86 channel and without the Celestion Blue, it would only be pretty good, not 'frickin insanely awesome!'

The new HW1 doesn't have the EF86 channel and the Blue is an extra cost option. It's cool to have the Normal and the Top Boost channel, but they aren't terribly dissimilar. It's more like a one channel amp that you need to change channels to go further up the range of crunch. On the other hand, I feel the HW1 is slightly better built than the H1TV.

I also had the slightly older AC15CC1, not the C1. I put a Weber Blue Dog in mine. If I hadn't bought the H1TV, I'd still have the CC1.

If I lost all my amps and had to start over on a relative budget, the AC15C1 would be pretty far up on the list... and I'd put in a Weber Blue Dog.

Another thing to remember, at least with the CC1 and the H1TV is the tubes they put in them are pretty bottom of the barrel. In my opinion, the power tubes don't really make a radical difference, but different preamp tubes can be literally a night and day difference, esp with the gainer tones.

As to the Night Train, Lil Night Train and AC4... I've played them all but unless you absolutely need the fully cranked tones at apartment-friendly volume levels, I wouldn't even consider them.

Other than that, you can't really go wrong with any of your first four options. The Greenback is good enough to get you started, but I really feel the Blue or at least a Weber Blue Dog is the minimum required speaker to fully experience the Vox vibe.

• Members

Over the weekend, after my band recorded songs for our EP I decided to shop for an AC15. I loved the AC30 at the studio (probably from the '80s, though the guy recording us wansn't too sure), and I own an AC30CC2x, but that's too big for my needs right now.

How does the AC15HW1X compare to the AC15TBX models?

• Members

How does the AC15HW1X compare to the AC15TBX models?

I messed up on my poll, the "I hat vox" is supposed to be "I hate Vox", meaning get something else. Also, the first AC15 was supposed to be the regular one and the second was supposed to be the newer "custom" version. I think they're pretty similar in specs but I haven't heard the newer one. I owned the regular AC15 without the celestion blue, and even though I've never owned an AC30, from what I've read they sound good even at lower levels? I guess I'm going to have to go and find all of these amps in one place and play them all until my fingers bleed.

• Members

I just bought the red AC15C1 and was .really suprised at how well it sounded. My new favorite amp and I compared it to a hand wired version and didnt really hear much of a difference to justify the extra dough. And if you order before the end of the month they are tossing in a free AC4

DSC00381.jpg

Archived