Doug Aldrich's playing on Whitesnake Forever more....up there with Sykes

grwhitefan

• Members

I thought I'd make this bold statement, after listening to the new Whitesnake. In fact, I think Aldrich is the best guitarist Whitesnake has ever had.....as good as if not better than John Sykes playing on the classic Whitesnake.

I'm completely blown away by his rhythm & lead playing on this cd. I can't say the mix is the best I've heard, but that's a minor complaint. I realize Reb Beach is playing on there a bit also......but we all know this is Aldrich's show. Talk about some raunchy, rockin', bluesy rhythm & lead playing!!!

Too bad this style of music is "not in" at all anymore, because there's some seriously good songs & guitar playing being overlooked.

• Members

I thought I'd make this bold statement, after listening to the new Whitesnake. In fact, I think Aldrich is the best guitarist Whitesnake has ever had.....as good as if not better than John Sykes playing on the classic Whitesnake.

I'm completely blown away by his rhythm & lead playing on this cd. I can't say the mix is the best I've heard, but that's a minor complaint. I realize Reb Beach is playing on there a bit also......but we all know this is Aldrich's show. Talk about some raunchy, rockin', bluesy rhythm & lead playing!!!

Too bad this style of music is "not in" at all anymore, because there's some seriously good songs & guitar playing being overlooked.

Aldrich is amazing. Lovely fluid playing and smoking tone! Gotta check this album out.

• Members

Aldrich is awesome on everything he does. He's both the best guitarist Dio had since Vivian Campbell and the best guitarist Whitesnake has had since Sykes.

Both of the last 2 Whitesnake records have been incredible. Dude's such a monster player, and has some seriously sick tone on top of it!

• Members

I saw him with Dio a handful of years before I was really familiar with him and he {censored}ing destroyed. He was just effortless, tasty and a sick tone. I then saw Dio again a couple of years later with Craig Goldy and was bummed.

• Members

I saw him with Dio a handful of years before I was really familiar with him and he {censored}ing destroyed. He was just effortless, tasty and a sick tone. I then saw Dio again a couple of years later with Craig Goldy and was bummed.

I was fortunate to see Doug with DIO for Killing The Dragon Tour. He was awesome and in addition to the DIO tunes, he also did killer versions of both rainbow and Black Sabbath tunes for good measure!!!:eek::cool:

• Members

OP is high...Sykes is way more! Killer song writer...Aldrich..nope...tone advantage Sykes again. Doug is a great player but IMO much more of a player when he slows down...just like Sykes! Anyway....Sykes was Whitesnake!

I love Sykes past stuff he's done, but I wasn't bowled over on his playing more recently with the Thin Lizzy Tribute band he was performing with up until the last year or so. Thin Lizzy was opening for Deep Purple back in 2003 and Steve Morse just killed that night. Sykes couldn't touch Morse, nor did he compare to Doug Aldrich's phenomenal tone and playing IMHO!

• Members

I thought the new Whitesnake album was horrible the one time I've listened to it. I was, however, listening to the overall package and wasn't really paying attention to the guitars per se. I'll have to give it another listen. Sounded like they were trying way too hard to recreate the self-titled album to me.

• Members

I agree with the OP, that solo in "Love Will Set You Free", along with the overall groove, is just sick. Aldrich is like what I aspired to be when I started getting into shred in the late 80's. Fluidity, bends, great vibrato, speed, feel, everything.

• Members

I thought the new Whitesnake album was horrible the one time I've listened to it. I was, however, listening to the overall package and wasn't really paying attention to the guitars per se. I'll have to give it another listen. Sounded like they were trying way too hard to recreate the self-titled album to me.

Yeah, 'cuz a band should never sound, you know... like themselves. :poke: :o

Archived