The most expressive instrument...

OverDriven

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, unless any of us are a generally accepted "expert" on the subject (which not a one of us can claim) this is really just a mixture of opinion, educated guess and pompous assery.

Having known great piano (not keyboard, PIANO) players and great guitarists, experience tells me that a gifted player can say more with a piano than any guitarist every has.

Well, I don't think there can be an "expert" on a subject like this (what would be the requirements?), and I said "keyboards" to be all-inclusive...

I've seen, heard, and in one instance, played with some great piano players; there's no doubt of the expressive abilities. But I can also say that about the late Segovia, too.

My point was more about the sheer variety of ways a note can be played on a guitar that cannot be done on a piano...

• Members

I think it's a little weird to call a part of your anatomy an "instrument". Probably the same guys who call their dick a "tool"
No {censored} it's more expressive.

But as far as real instruments go....I'd probably say something bowed like a violin. It mimics the human voice the best. And that's what we associate with "expression"

Music is just an evolutionary biproduct of the human adaptation of language.

The human brain requires hearing patterns in sound for communication to be possible... and some patterns create moods and meanings as a byproduct.

• Members

How so, Dolf (? meant seriously, not sarcastically)? I love keyboards, but one note can't be played in the variety of ways it can on guitar. When was the last time you heard a piano render a pinch harmonic, or a note bend?

Or vibrato.

Violin is the answer. It has been for 500+ years & will be for 500+ more.

Archived