Rectifier Tubes.

NixerX

• Members

I always change my power tubes every 12 months and everything thing else every 24 months. But thats just me.

Normally I would too but Its an old school RCA. Ive read that they last for a long time and wouldnt want to replace it prematurely.

• Members

Depends on the use. Many old production tubes like the RCA can last decades if not used for regular professional gigging. For many on this forum that, like me, are hobbyist, they can often get a lifetime out of a tube like that. But you haven't any clue how hard it was used in it's previous life. Though you can plug it in and measure the voltages and see if the voltage drop is within reason.

• Members

Depends on the use. Many old production tubes like the RCA can last decades if not used for regular professional gigging. For many on this forum tghat, like me, are hobbyist, they can often get a lifetime out of a tube like that. But you haven't any clue how hard it was used in it's previous life. Though you can plug it in and measure the voltages and see if the voltage drop is within reason.

Thank you Sir. I can tell you the previous owner was a hobbyist. The amp is in GREAT shape for a '65. I ordered a SS rectifier for now.

The Filter Cap is not leaking or Blistering but I will have to change it soon. I dont suppose with your expertise you would know where I could get a drop in replacement. I dont want to have to use the retainer clip that requires me to drill the chassis.

its a Blackface Princeton (NR) BTW.

• Members

Thank you Sir. I can tell you the previous owner was a hobbyist. The amp is in GREAT shape for a '65. I ordered a SS rectifier for now.

The Filter Cap is not leaking or Blistering but I will have to change it soon. I dont suppose with your expertise you would know where I could get a drop in replacement. I dont want to have to use the retainer clip that requires me to drill the chassis.

its a Blackface Princeton (NR) BTW.

I think most people use the 475V 20/20/20/20 by CE from Antique Electronic Supply. I don't remember if that requires a clamp or not.

One of the reasons I no longer deal with vintage amps was the overwhelming pressure I felt to keep them as stock as possible instead of many them as good as possible.

• Members

I think most people use the 475V 20/20/20/20 by CE from Antique Electronic Supply. I don't remember if that requires a clamp or not.

One of the reasons I no longer deal with vintage amps was the overwhelming pressure I felt to keep them as stock as possible instead of many them as good as possible.

Yep. This amp is mine. I received the Princeton and a '70 SuperReverb for free. As far As im concerned an amp is meant to be played and if that means altering then ok. I would like to avoid destructive modifications if at all possible though!

• Members
I still have the originals in my 1965 vibro champ. I cook those tubes daily and wonder if there is another 50 years in them.

I bet if you retubed you would be in heaven. Your just so used to the sound that you think it sounds good. Vibro champs are cheap to retube.

Archived