AC-30 guys (this includes you Mr. NoobsHolland)

mcr23

• Members

Trying to help out a friend dial in his AC-30 2x12 combo. I'm not sure the specific edition but he got it new a few years ago from GC. Plays a Tele (aweosme combo). :thu:

He's playing with my buddy who has a Mrak V that he and I dialed into goodness.

The problem now is that the AC is getting burried in the Mix when they play live. I am sure that this is partly operator error on the dialing in effort.

Any tried and true suggestions? :idk:

• Members

Turn the {censored}er up. :)

It may take more dialing with the Mark V instead - the AC30 really fits in a specific bandwidth, regardless of how it is dialed in. You may have to carve out that spot in the Mark V EQ to leave space. I think of the Mark V as a more "high bandwidth" amp, meaning that it is flexible enough to be shaped into many tones. The AC30 really does one tone, but it does it very well.

• Members

Even the V was more difficult to dial in to the sweet spot than my quad's Mark III channel or the studio preamp. It's almost hard to get a bad sound out of those.

As you mentioned, I've also suggested turning the AC up. :lol:

Aside from the mix issue, I also think it's just not dialed in as good as it could be. He's even admitted that he has no clue how all the controls work and affect each other. I've just never had an AC to play around with and figure it out myself :idk:

• Members

The AC30 controls are VERY interactive. If he's on the Top Boost channel, the treble and bass controls can boost or scoop the mids - the higher they are set, the less prominent the mids are. It's a very sensitive tone-stack - you can't spin the knobs like a Marshall, that's for sure. I preferred to voice the amp with the channel tone controls, and then use the cut control to define the high end. It's a reversed presence control - when it's set lower, the amp is brighter, and vice versa.

My rule with that tone stack is always start with the controls at halfway, and then adjust and see what ends up where.

• Members

ha! mike.. :facepalm: NOOBsholland...

i actually can't tell you dick bout ac30's WRT dialin' 'em in-- listen to weathered! it's kinda inconceivable that you could bury and ac30 in my experience.. unless the mkv is really dialed for a {censored}ton of mids and bass. i'm seconding the 'carve out a niche for the 30' opine. you guys might just have similar dialin' ears-- and you're not dialed in complementarily..

beyond that.. i gots nothin.

• Members
ha! mike..
:facepalm:
NOOBsholland...

beyond that.. i gots nothin.

:love::wave: Just sharing the love.

Thanks man. I just want to try and help him out becaus emy buddy is just killing him in the mix. I am sure I can get it dialed in better from what everyone said thus far--it's not dialed in in the first place.

• Members

Based on the purchase time frame and store it could be an AC30CC2. If it is, are you using the master volume? If you are, then you might want to stop using the MV and just crank it all the way and use the channel volume instead.

• Members

I'd setup the mark to fill the lows and low mids. let the vox handle the upper mid grind. those two should sound good together.

Yep.

And always have that AC30 master volume maxed. Anything less is a failure, I'm afraid.

Archived