great clean channel on a head??

seth-ep

• Members

im looking to buy a tube head with great/your favorite/the best clean tone, im only considering a head within the 50 to 100 watt range, not really going for a combo, first things come to ming are fender bassman, carvin legacy, or even a roland jc120 even its not tube but ive heard great things about, what would be your suggestion??? educate me on the clean tone world. price range up to 1000 if necesary, but ill be nice to save some money lol

• Members

fender super sonic? ac30 head (yeah yeah not 50w+)

its ok, ill check them out, thanks for the input :thu:

keep them coming!! would like to hear also thoughts on the ones i mentioned, specially the legacy...

• Members

Dude... SERIOUSLY look into something by Mesa.

I've had a Nomad, Heartbreaker, and currently use a Stiletto Deuce Stage II. They have all had {censored}ing AMAAAAAAAAAZING clean channels. The Sitletts particularly amazing because of it's "Fat Clean" and "Tite Clean" modes. I mean some serious "god damn!" cleans.

Both modes are great, fat for, well, fatter warmer cleans. Nowhere near muddy, as I've put a semi and LP through the fat mode with delicious results. Then there's the tite clean, which is your super sparkly Fender style cleans. They're just outstanding. You give me a guitar with what you believe to be the stinkiest, muddiest, trash neck-bucker, I'll play it through my Stiletto and convince you it's a vintage prize.

I see you had a recto, so this is probably all in vain, but I'm telling you, they do cleans right. I've heard several black face Fenders and am alwas left wondering why they're so mysterious and highly regarded. I mean, they're great, but nothing my Stiletto can't handle.

• Members

yeah ive heard great things about mesa clean, the recto clean wasnt what i expected as far as clean for the price i mean, its the only mesa ive tried, but great amp, ive heard great things about the lonestar but i think mesa its overpriced overall, and hard to find at my price range

i need just the clean channel.... a real nice overdrive or crunch channel will be a must if i spend all the way to 1000, dont want a one trick pony if i spend that much, my top choice currently is the legacy, great clean and good overdrive tones as a plus, for a good price, would it be worth the extra cash for a ac30 or bassman vs the legacy???

• Members

While I don't get along with most of their drive channels, I can vouch for Mesa amps having stellar clean channels.

yeah im not fan of the drive channels either, but they are definately very versatil

• Members

classic 50 dude, trust me.

that will be a good choice.

And they will be very hard to find, but honestly look for a Peavey Triumph head too. I LOVE the clean channel on this thing, nice (but not GREAT) reverb, and crunch/ultra channels are great and cut extremely well, as long as you have an EQ pedal. For the amount of $ you'd save going the peavey route though, getting a good EQ should be no problem. Just another option :idk:

• Members

what kind of music

i want it to cover all the styles it possibly can, i guess a real good clean channel should be able to do that... looking for a real warm clean, and headroom as far as volume(thats why i prefer 50 to 100 watts)

• Members

The Legacy clean channel is great with effects. It doesn't really knock me out on its own, but it's like

a blank canvas. If there was an amp that was just a 50 watt legacy clean in a short head, that would be my amp.

• Members

that will be a good choice.

And they will be very hard to find, but honestly look for a Peavey Triumph head too. I LOVE the clean channel on this thing, nice (but not GREAT) reverb, and crunch/ultra channels are great and cut extremely well, as long as you have an EQ pedal. For the amount of $ you'd save going the peavey route though, getting a good EQ should be no problem. Just another option
:idk:

I thought they were a dime a dozen over in th eUSA?

• Members

yeah ive heard great things about mesa clean, the recto clean wasnt what i expected as far as clean for the price i mean, its the only mesa ive tried, but great amp, ive heard great things about the lonestar but i think mesa its overpriced overall, and hard to find at my price range

i need just the clean channel.... a real nice overdrive or crunch channel will be a must if i spend all the way to 1000, dont want a one trick pony if i spend that much, my top choice currently is the legacy, great clean and good overdrive tones as a plus, for a good price, would it be worth the extra cash for a ac30 or bassman vs the legacy???

Seth...my main amp is a Rectoverb and I love the gain tones. I recently bought an Mesa Express 5:50 and while the overdrive can do crunch and blues...it's not in the same league as my Recto. BUT.....the cleans are so nice that I still may keep the Express and sell the Rectoverb. For me the clincher will be if I can boost it into recto territory. But if I was just looking at cleans I wouldn't hesitate on the Express.

• Members

ugh. mesa cleans. not a fan after leaving that fold.

they're great if you want flat, compressed tones.. :D

what constitutes 'GREAT' clean tone? some guys love a dry clanky absolutely clean sound that requires NO picking dynamics and just lets you pummel it with your right hand. some guys love verge-of-dirt, very touch sensitive sound that goes right into overdrive when you bear down on it. some guys want silverface fender through d120 hifi madness that'll crack your fillings at 30 yards. some people want plexi through greenbacks with the volume rolled back. some guys want a 5e3 sound.

it's as complicated a subject as 'what constitutes a good dirt sound?' what is it you want out of an amp to sound great?

• Members

welll, i want something warm and fat and with playing dynamics but with alot of clean headroom, not really going for skinny clean or VERY compressed, just a bit, i need it to work well with my 5150, not looking for a lot of contrast on that territory

• Members

Good clean tones require the right speakers as well. It also depends what kind of cleans you like. More fenderish or more vox like? Frenzel actually has some pretty good offerings for the money.

i want to go for the amp first

Archived