Low end thump on a Boogie Mark series amp?

cacheek

• Members

How do you mark IV users feel about pulling the Lead presence knob? I've tried it a handful of times, and I've always went back to the original tone of the amp.

On a IV, I always liked the normal mode rather than the presence shifted. I think they refined the presence shift on the V ("extreme mode"), and I like it for down-tuned metal rhythm quite a bit. It's very percussive and snappy.

• Members

How do you mark IV users feel about pulling the Lead presence knob? I've tried it a handful of times, and I've always went back to the original tone of the amp.

it thinks the tone out A LOT on mine, so much so that it makes it unusable, i like it pushed in for sure

• Members

It has a very defined low end. I wouldn't call it a thump. But god damn it is beautiful. Put on a Dream Theater CD and turn the volume up really loud or something. I always got a VERY similiar tone to Petrucci when I played my Mark IV with a seven string or dropped tuning. One of my favorite amps for sure. Mark III is way better IMO though.

• Members

Yep. Most of you have probably heard it, but here's a recording of my Mark IV:

one of the online clips that helped decide on whether to go dual recto or Mark IV

great tone on this clip.

I also keep the presence shift off unless I'm practicing late at night, it cuts the volume considerably on mine.

• Members

Ya know, this is the thing that bugs me most about the Marks. I have a Mark III and a Triple Recto. I like the big low end you hear in modern metal. The Recto basically does this sound easily. The Mark III is different though. Does it have a ton of bass? yes, if you push the 80 slider to the top, it is VERY bass heavy, but it is much tighter. It doesn't really make the amp sound bassy, it just makes the amp have a lot of one bassy frequency if that makes sense.

The Mark III to me basically always sounds tight and thrashy. It can get be a bassy thrashy sound, but it still always sounds very tight and clinical. If you want a 1985-1995 type thrash sound, the the Mark is great for that. If you want a modern, huge bassy tone, then the Recto is better for that.

So combine them with an A/B pedal. Perhaps in a stereo cab. How is the randall compared to them?

• Members

So combine them with an A/B pedal. Perhaps in a stereo cab. How is the randall compared to them?

I do, but the 5150 and Recto make a a better pair. They sound much better together than the Mark III and Recto.

The Randall is "too tight" like the Mark III, but more saturated. It is not real bass heavy either but has a nice upper mid grind...

Archived