Marshall build thread.

SteveiJobzz

• Members

Hey all. I've been wanting to build a tube amp for awhile now. I finally scratched together enough cash to buy a Weber kit (since they're cheap).

Well after waiting 4 weeks it finally came yesterday.

2qdpe78.jpg

It's a Plexi 50watt kit (6m45p)

1zg9ths.jpg

I opted to order some Sozo Mustard Caps separately, and the power tubes are also coming separately. So some of the cheap caps won't be getting used.

Here's the transformers. Definitely good quality. Super heavy.

11t8ozs.jpg

Here's a shot of the filter section. I'd rather do capcans, but I guess this is ok. I had to drill holes to mount it on top by the transformers since A) I wanted more room inside the chassis because I'm a noob and B) it didn't fit anyways. I'm assuming they switched manufacturers and the caps got bigger so the whole board doesn't fit in there.

2aevvqh.jpg

Here's a shot of the chassis with most of the hardware installed.

2461403.jpg

And one last shot of the preamp tubes. I have like 20 NOS and slightly used Telefunken tubes laying around Made in West Germany.

vyqzqv.jpg

Any comments and help is appreciated This is my first amp guild and I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes. So chime in if you see something I'm doing wrong.

Cheers.

• Members

This is my first amp build and I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes. So chime in if you see something I'm doing wrong.

Cheers.

That's a pretty ambitious project for a first build! :eek:

Take your time and try to solder as clean as you can. :thu:

• Members

Not an expert but that looks really dangerous having the filter cap terminals exposed outside the chassis like that.

I was going to cover them with something anyways. Moreso for aesthetics, but also for protection. Like I said I prefer cans.

• Members

Yea. One side is too close to the inside wall of the chassis and the other side there isn't enough clearance because of how the fuse holder and the presence pot are laid out.

I'm not too concerned about it because it will be covered, and I kind of expected to have to drill some extra holes anyways. Just a minor annoyance.

• Members

I've built several Weber kits and never had a problem fitting the filtar caps in.

And yes, it would probably better to use the 50x50 dual cans.

This one has footswitchable gain stage and master volume:

100_2042.jpg

An 18w TMB:

100_1925.jpg

This was a 1987 kit turned into a Matchless Chieftain:

100_2057.jpg

• Members

After checking the kitbuilding forum at Weber, I think I'm just gong to say screw it and use cans. It just seems infinitely easier, and it'll look better. Now I just have to tap some holes in the chassis.

Also, got the heater wiring done today. Man that was a pain in the ass.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

• Members

use the inside dual cans. IMO, It is incredibly irresponsible for weber to put the filter caps topside uncovered like that.

one touch when swapping tubes or slip and ZAP! :eek:

FWIW....sell 1/2 of those Telefunkens and but a Metro kit! :idea:

Archived