Which Eminence speaker in Jet City cabs?

Mind Riot

• Members

My JCA12s 1x12 cab arrived today. I'm quite impressed with it, actually. Very solidly made.

The speaker, on the other hand, I can't say (the head that this cab is going with hasn't arrived yet).

It's got a small Eminence badge on the front of the cab, and I was curious so I pulled the back panel off to see what kind of Eminence driver they had in there.

I couldn't tell, everything on the stickers just said Jet City Custom and JCA12s and whatnot. I peeled enough of the sticker back to know there wasn't anything underneath it.

It's a large magnet driver, though. And one thing that I noticed: the basket for the speaker is blue.

Anybody else got any idea what they're putting in these things?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

You'll see Eminence, Celestion and Jensen names on many stock speakers. This does not mean it's the same as any production model from said company. The amp makers give a rough idea to their speaker maker and that maker produces something in bulk at a lower price point. So you may find a 4 ohm Celestion speaker that is absolute {censored} in a Line 6, frinstance

• Members

From what I remember, it is a custom build Eminence speaker that has a very flat/neutral response. I have the same in my Jet City 2x12 cab. Doesn't sound half bad, but I bet it would sound great with a modeling amp.

This. It is a great speaker if you want flat response and little to no coloration from the speaker. Yes, it is a large magnet because it is rated at 70 watts.

If you want to swap speakers, what head will you be using? What sounds are you after?

• Members

From what I remember, it is a custom build Eminence speaker that has a very flat/neutral response. I have the same in my Jet City 2x12 cab. Doesn't sound half bad, but I bet it would sound great with a modeling amp.

This. It is a great speaker if you want flat response and little to no coloration from the speaker. Yes, it is a large magnet because it is rated at 70 watts.

If you want to swap speakers, what head will you be using? What sounds are you after?

• Members

The one I have doesn't have a large magnet. It's actually a small magnet compared to a Vintage 30. It's also not very transparent.

I did back to back recordings with a Veteran 30 and the Emi driver.

http://soundcloud.com/madryan/jet-city-emi

http://soundcloud.com/madryan/wgs-vet-30

• Members

The one I have doesn't have a large magnet. It's actually a small magnet compared to a Vintage 30. It's also not very transparent.

I did back to back recordings with a Veteran 30 and the Emi driver.

Interesting. And, yes, the Vet30 sounds great! Mike Soldano himself has become a convert to Vintage 30-style speakers for JCA amps.

• Members

I had the JC 1x12 and compared it to my Eminence Wizard, pretty inferior to the wizard. Lower efficiency and more muffled. The cab is built nicely though.

I emailed them about the efficiency, they replied - "it's 100watts". even though the cab is not rated at 100watts. When i tried to explain what i was asking, they acknowledged they didn't know and would get back to me. Never did.

Archived