gassin for a preamp...

MichaelYoung

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Peavey Rockmaster is pretty cheap and very high gain, clear, and thrashy.

People always freak out on the Studio, but I agree. Ive had a few of them, and modern metal is not its strong point. There is a difference between having lots of gain, and having lots of gain suited for a modern metal sound...

• Members

I have a mesa studio preamp but i really want another one that will give me that missing high gain tone....... any suggestions?

There are lots of single space preamps out there that will give you that high gain sound.

Modded ADA MP-1 Here is a sound sample of mine with a EL34 power amp And Another in full band context

Rockmaster

ENGL e530

Roctron Pirranha

Lee Jackson Perfect Connection

I have used a rockmaster and a modded ADA MP-1 for years with great results. I cant speak for all the mods for the ADA MP-1 but the 3.666 sounds darn close to a rectifier. In fact through the effects return of my Rectoverb, I would be hard pressed to tell the ADA from the Rectoverb's preamp.

• Members

how much would you expect to spend on a used preamp....?

the randall and the engl look like my best options, but i really don't see that many used ones.

a Randall rm4 can be found under 600 bucks easily but modules are usually 100-500 with the stock ones usually selling around 200-300 each, the modded modules such as the ones made my salvation mods can sell for alot more.

check this forums classifieds section: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/

• Members

You can pickup some for less than 3 bills and sometimes alot cheaper if you keep looking. I picked up my rockmaster for $35 but I see them going on ebay for about $200, The modded ADA preamps are between $250 and $500, Randall Modular stuff I have seen go as cheap as $450 but usually around $650. Have you thought about adding one (or more) of the AMT Legend pedal preamps. For about $130 they sound really good.

• Members

is anyone using the randall rm4 with the different modules......? I'm thinking that looks like a great idea, but it might be a money trap for me!

im using the randall rm100kh head, and i will be getting some modded modules soon, but so far only have the stock kh modules.

a friend of mine has a rm4 with a couple modded modules and his sound is awesome, if you want versitility you cant beat randall mts stuff thats for sure.

my modules are basically a modded fender blackface with tons of headroom, a modded hotroded marshall with more gain and a mesa poweramp and kh-3 is same only more gain

what i like about rm4's is you can basically get your 4 favourite amps all in one preamp, theres tons of mods basically any sound you want is achievable.

but it does get expensive, it can be a money trap, but its fun to explore new sounds , for someone who is always seeking that dream tone its a dream come true.

the only problem is finding the right preamps for your soudn without spending too much lol

here is a link to the forums, it can help guide you :

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/

• Members

The E530 gets another vote. Tonnnnnns of gain, super tight, also surprisingly good cleans. Direct recording with them nets shockingly good results (if necessary). They even feature a teensy little stereo 2 x 1.5W power amp so you can play through a cab without a power amp. It'll get up to "maxed TV" level volume. Good enough for fooling around at home.

• Members

No mention of a Peters preamp anywhere in this thread is a dern shame...

I was just about to make mention of it.

James has 6 official pre-amp models now. There are a couple combinations that aren't possible to be housed together, but what other boutique amp builder has 6 different models that are offered in 4 different formats?

• Members

I didn't find the e530 to have THAT much gain. It's more in hard rock territory IMO. Can work well for thrash too, but low chugga chugga brootz its a little dry. With a boost, it can work.

My recommendation would be the Mak 4 by Mako, much better quality.

• Members

Matchless Hotbox or Bad Cat 2-Tone

Reading comprehension fail. Did you even bother to read the OP before posting? I'm assuming that you mean 2-tone with an MT-2 for metal. The AMT P-1, E-1 or R-1, or Sansamp PSA1 will do metal much better for a lot less money.

I agree with the e530, Rockmaster, Peters Gryphon, Marshall JMP-1, and add the H&K Access. Look at the Salvation Mods Benzin for the Randall/Egnater modular stuff.

Archived