Why don't amp companies install a lead boost function more often?

scooped-mids

• Members

One good method is to add a limited boost cathode bypass cap to an unbypassed stage to add gain over a certain frequency range as this adds gain, a bit of volume and changes the tone a little to differentiate it from the rhythm tone.

It's hard,but possible, to implement this without popping. You could also take it a step further and add a resistor in parallel with the cap to change the value of the cathode resistor ala the Bogner ecstasy's structure switch.

• Members

With it built in, you still have the choice. Some people enjoy the convenience of a clean boost for solos without having to put a pedal in the chain. If you don't want it, just don't engage it, and use whatever pedal you want.

Very much this. Even with the dual master volumes on the JVM, I still use an EQ in the loop for lead boosts.

• Members

I'd like to see a company put it something like an FX loop, but at the front end of the amp. So you could put an OD pedal in your rack or on top of your head or whatever and footswitch it in and out with the amps footswitch. Plus, have it remember if it was on or off for certain channels.

• Members

I'd like to see a company put it something like an FX loop, but at the front end of the amp. So you could put an OD pedal in your rack or on top of your head or whatever and footswitch it in and out with the amps footswitch. Plus, have it remember if it was on or off for certain channels.

You mean like Diezel? See the VH4 product page - the insert loops are pre-preamp they are MIDI switchable. One loop per channel though, so sharing the same effect between multiple channels is going to be "fun" for wiring :)

• Members

The H&K Trilogy has a "loop learn" function, thats pretty neat.

As for the boost thing, the new Laney Ironhearts have a front end boost built in and it sounds incredible.

Archived