Best pickups for Les Paul and metalz.

Crunchtime

• Members

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but,

Want to reamp my LP. Want tight, thick, cruchy, non muddy metal tone for bridge. Want smooth but not underpowered next to bridge for neck. I do like actives but like passives too.

• Members

"Best pickup"-thread = as many different answers as there are participants in the thread :D
I don't like the JB in mahogany, I like the EMG 81. In my old Strat, the Aldrich was a step down in fatness when I swapped my Rio Grande BBQ for it. In an LP, it might work very well.

• Members

I think ceramic pickups works great in les paul's, in the past I have had a duncan custom and a kent armstrong rocker (when he was doing hand wounds) both work really great. These days I'm using an Irongear dirty torque which is Alnico 5 which I really like but its not metal in anyway its not tight enough for that but does get me closer to the sound im after which is somewhere between AIC and COC heavy chunky sound!

For metal sound though I would go with ceramic pickups like the distortion, custom or emg 81! IMO

• Members

I've got an 81/60 combo in my LP and it's pretty awesome for metal.

It seems to make it really easy to cut through any mix.

The output is nice and hot so I don't have to crank the gain as much as with my passives.

They're also extremely smooth, not grainy/grindy like my passives.

Archived