Axe II review.... Separate Ways repirse

mhenson42

• Members

EDIT: title fail.... Separate Ways Reprise.....

first the pic....

Axe2-1.jpg

I bought one just to try it out over the 4th of July weekend. I didn't think I'd keep it. I didn't. lol. Made someone in Europe very happy though. He bought my Ultra from me a few months ago too.

It's a big step up from the Ultra in terms of ease of use and the ability to dial in high gain tones. It's very good sounding, but it's still not gonna compete with a tube amp in the room. My problem was that it didn't matter what the amp model was, they all tended to sound similar after I was done dialing them in. I don't need the variety I guess. I can get a better tone out of my Nitro anyway. I thought about keeping it for effects only, but I wasn't liking it as much as my pedals that I have. So...separate ways

:lol:

• Members

EDIT: title fail.... Separate Ways Reprise.....

I bought one just to try it out over the 4th of July weekend. I didn't think I'd keep it. I didn't. lol. Made someone in Europe very happy though. He bought my Ultra from me a few months ago too.

It's a big step up from the Ultra in terms of ease of use and the ability to dial in high gain tones. It's very good sounding, but it's still not gonna compete with a tube amp in the room. My problem was that it didn't matter what the amp model was, they all tended to sound similar after I was done dialing them in. I don't need the variety I guess. I can get a better tone out of my Nitro anyway. I thought about keeping it for effects only, but I wasn't liking it as much as my pedals that I have. So...separate ways

:lol:

Even with the lowly Ultra I have a similar experience. Doesn't matter what the model is , when I am done they sound really similar. BTW, when the forum has the high gain tube shoot outs they all sound really close to me too.

I could get by with three models. Clean, crunch, distorted just like an amp. Why don't I use an amp anymore then? Convenience, effects, portability.

• Members

I dont think this is profound logic .its why a player will chose to like a certain amp or not.

Any player who knows there sound will tend to dial that in on any amp they use.

A lot of the high gain amps sounds the same to an extent one has more low mid a la boogie one upper mid like a Soldano.

I asked Scott Peterson the same question when i heard his clips, his answer was the same, while he could get the amps too sound drastically different.When he dialed them in to his liking they were very similar.

Another case in point the Randall modular systems all of the Marshall based modules are almost identical components and layout minus a tweak in value her to darken it up ,or reduce bass to tighten the low end attack

• Members

It's no surprise once people are done setting up the tones that they sound similar because people dial in what they consider good tone. I started with my ultra going through presets and picking ones I liked that sounded a bit different and then tweaking those. the idea being to have different tones available. Granted going from one to another in a song in some cases sounds like going from very mid oriented to very bottom end heavy, but I dont do that I use each sound for the particular song I am playing and tweak that partilcular setting. If that makes any sense

• Members

I've had the opposite experience with the Axe-FX II - I think the amps now sound as different as their real counterparts. I was particularly impressed with the cleans, like the Dr. Z and the AC-30. The Z is not an amp that I would use on an everyday basis, but it just sounded "real" and "in the room.". I was never 100% satisfied with my Standard in that regard, but the II really shines.

The II and Standard share many of the same presets in Bank B. I was able to hook up both through a Radial ABY box and then use a Radial Hotshot ABi pedal to switch between them. There were only two Standard presets that I liked better (one was Smokin' and the other I don't recall). Each II preset sounded more "alive" consistently (and Yes, I deliberately tried mixing it up so I wouldn't know which one was actually coming through the Atomic).

• Members

Had a chance to play one over the weekend. Compared my standard (just amp models). Its a little above it just in modeling (probably the cabs :idk: ) but not the massive "zomg sell everything and buy one now" response its had on every other person at TGP. A lot of those dudes are really more of a salesmen figure (approach is anyway) imo.

I think its the effects, form factor and I/O additions people crave more of with version II. I also think the basic model or ultra can be just as pleasing in any recording situation. I won't talk heavily about live because I totally agree with the OP as well as others. Tube still wins YMMV

• Members

The only thing I would say is how long did you have it I guess not long, did you just try sone presets an go nah...

Also are you using it as an amp replacement or recording device?

I look at the axe-fx like I would a good recording pre amp and effects unit.

Archived