draelyc

primeholy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thumbs up for the {censored} Paz does with her hair from 1:56 to 2:04. No clue why but it's sexy.

i have always tried to explain how {censored}ing awesome this is. hard to. like my dick.

i dont know if you guys know, but i dig most of what maynard does. (see avatar)

and with regard to message behind this song, also see wings for marie pt. 1 and 2 on 10,000 days. approached form the experience and contemplation since judith was written. and {censored}ing amazing musically.

• Members
Guess the OP didn't want to finish what he started...

There's a lesson for all you kids out there: if you're gonna drink, know when to say "when," and certainly don't try to drive a point home on the innarwebz whilst intoxicated.
:thu:

Wait...wat?

WTF good is the innernet fer then?

• Members

So what religion is it that your parent(s) follow vs yourself?

It's not about following any particular religion; it's about discovering reality for oneself. I don't know if you've noticed, but even adherents of the same religion can disagree sharply about a great many "truths." :cop:

I was reared in a Christian environment, but not an oppressive or repressive one (as I look back from an adult perspective). I have rejected many, if not most, of the traditional, mainstream interpretations of Christian theology and teaching in favor of far less popular, but to me eminently more sensible mystic interpretations.

So, to respond directly to your question, my parents are both Christian, but neither of them are mystics by any stretch of imagination.

But more importantly, to point out the flaw in your question, it absolutely would not matter if I had ended up following precisely the same religious path as my parents, because the fact that I have pursued relentlessly my own experiences and my own understanding means that my resulting views are not "programming," no matter how similar to or different from my parents' views they might be.

• Members

I have rejected many, if not most, of the traditional, mainstream interpretations of Christian theology and teaching in favor of far less popular, but to me eminently more sensible mystic interpretations.

So, to respond directly to your question, my parents are both Christian, but neither of them are mystics by any stretch of imagination.

So to summarize, both your parents and yourself are in fact Christian?

• Members

Hmm, you're not thinking about missing the point, there, are ya, Ace?
:cop:

Don't worry I saw the point you were attempting to make.

I find it ironic however that you and your parents are members of the same religious sect, but you act insulted at the notion that your parents' influence has had a profound effect on your beliefs.

To call it 'programming' might be a litte harsh but to deny that your parents and your upbringing have had a major role in your religious outlook is quite naive, regardless of how much you've "pursued relentlessly your own experiences and your own understanding" of said religious sect.

Do you truly believe that had your parents raised you as an athiest that you would believe EXACTLY what you believe today?

• Members

I love this song, but do you know the backstory? Because it's important to understand in the context of "programming".

The song is written as a reaction to Maynards mother's accident that left her paralyzed. It's an angry reaction to her devout beliefs in the face of her unfortunate circumstance. Written from the point of view of an angry teenager. It's not an ongoing anger but one he dealt with when he was younger that is expressed in the song.

In as much as this song is anger at that faith, He continued after her death with 10,000 days as an understanding of her faith. Celebrating it for her even though he does not share it.

If you know the story behind the song you really get a different picture.

Thanks for that information, seriously. It does change my views on the song, and on the depth of feeling that has gone into these albums.

• Members

Don't worry I saw the point you were attempting to make.

I find it ironic however that you and your parents are members of the same religious sect, but you act insulted at the notion that your parents' influence has had a profound effect on your beliefs.

To call it 'programming' might be a litte harsh but to deny that your parents and your upbringing have had a major role in your religious outlook is quite naive, regardless of how much you've "pursued relentlessly your own experiences and your own understanding" of said religious sect.

Do you truly believe that had your parents raised you as an athiest that you would believe EXACTLY what you believe today?

First, that's not "ironic."

Second, I never discounted the influence of environment. Even if one reacts *against* one's environment, that still constitutes being influenced by it. I objected tobte ridiculous and offensive assumption by the OP that I was "programmed" by my environment.

Third, it is impossible to say what my journey might have been like had my environmental conditions been different, but given the numbers of people who grow up to hold radically different views from their parents, you must concede that it is at least mathematically possible that I could have woundup with the views I curretky have, jamy parents been atheist, especially since I did, in fact, wind up with views hat differ from theirs in some significant respects.

P.S. I wasn't "attempting" to make a point; I made it, and I'm ladyou didn't miss it, although I'm still not sure you got it *entirely* ...

• Members

First, that's not "ironic."

Second, I never discounted the influence of environment. Even if one reacts *against* one's environment, that still constitutes being influenced by it. I objected tobte ridiculous and offensive assumption by the OP that I was "programmed" by my environment.

Third, it is impossible to say what my journey might have been like had my environmental conditions been different, but given the numbers of people who grow up to hold radically different views from their parents, you must concede that it is at least mathematically possible that I could have woundup with the views I curretky have, jamy parents been atheist, especially since I did, in fact, wind up with views hat differ from theirs in some significant respects.

P.S. I wasn't "attempting" to make a point; I made it, and I'm ladyou didn't miss it, although I'm still not sure you got it *entirely* ...

1) Ok. If it's not ironic it sure is rather "telling" :)

2) Why do you care so much that someone else thinks you're "programmed"?

3) If I was a betting man, I'd bet against you arriving at your current belief system if you remove your parent's "programming" from that particular mathematical equation.

My P.S.) Would believing your own beliefs in silence rather than engaging in religious debates (all the while assuring yourself there are many good reasons you feel the way you do) make it any less likely that you've nothing but oblivion to look forward to in the end? If the answer to that is no, why not try it out? :)

• Members

1) Ok. If it's not ironic it sure is rather "telling"
:)
2) Why do you care so much that someone else thinks you're "programmed"?

3) If I was a betting man, I'd bet against you arriving at your current belief system if you remove your parent's "programming" from that particular mathematical equation.

My P.S.) Would believing your own beliefs in silence rather than engaging in religious debates (all the while assuring yourself there are many good reasons you feel the way you do) make it any less likely that you've nothing but oblivion to look forward to in the end? If the answer to that is no, why not try it out?
:)

1) What, precisely, does it "tell" you? That's right -- nothing.

2) Why shouldn't I? But beyond that, his assertion was not just insulting to me, personally; it voiced a common and very destructive misconception about religion & spirituality. I had a moral obligation to correct his error.

3) Good for you. Your gambling problem doesn't make your point valid, though. :poke:

P.S. Check the OP; I was called out by name. You might do better to ask yourself why you didn't choose to hold your views in silence, rather than posting in this thread... :idk:

• Members
1) What, precisely, does it "tell" you? That's right -- nothing.

2) Why shouldn't I? But beyond that, his assertion was not just insulting to me, personally; it voiced a common and very destructive misconception about religion & spirituality. I had a moral obligation to correct his error.

3) Good for you. Your gambling problem doesn't make your point valid, though. :poke:

P.S. Check the OP; I was called out by name. You might do better to ask yourself why you didn't choose to hold your views in silence, rather than posting in this thread...
:idk:

1) It tells me that should you have to admit to yourself that your religious view is not much more than your parents influence/upbringing, you would then have to admit what how silly you appear to those who don't believe the same thing as you.

2) Is that the same moral obligation that abortion clinic protesters cite as why they terrorize people who don't agree with their particular views?

3) My point makes perfectly logical sense, regardless of how much you rationalize to the contrary.

P.S.) I replied because all of your posts were painting a picture of someone who needs to convince others why they believe what they believe and I find that incredibly annoying. Like a yappy, terrified little dog. I suppose in hindsight I should've resisted the urge to kick, regardless of the bitches annoying barking but couldn't help myself.

• Members

Why should I have to admit somrlehing that isn't so?

Neither of my parents has participated in Druid circles or Wiccan rituals, for instance, and to my knowledge, neither of them subscribes to the doctrine of reincarnation ... That alone should be sufficient for youbto realize that not all Christians are cardboard cutouts of one another.

I self identify as Christian because that is my "native" language -- and I'm sure you bothered to notice that I already pointed out that my environment influenced my journey. :cop:

So no, your point is completely invalid, no matter how insidiously you try to rephrase it over and over, and no matter how many infantile insults you use as attempts at baiting.

So, basically, you're just not very good at this conversation thingie. Go get some more practice elsewhere & come back when you've grown up a bit.

Archived