AxeFX clippage: My first attempt.... (Metallica/Down)

MattACaster

• Members

Recorded these last night after a few beers....

This is the "Recto Red" model into the "4x12 V30" cab. No eq-ing outside of the amp block.

Metallica - Bad Snax

This one is the "Brit 800" boosted by a "TS808" into the same cab as above. Again, no external EQ. Everything was done within the amp block.

Down - On March the Snax

Still trying to figure the Axe Ultra out. But it seems every time I sit down with it I figure out a little trick to get it to sound better and better.

• Members

I like it ! What mic did you use ? Any changes in the advanced settings of amp blocks ?

No mic sim in the cab block.

I have the dampening up pretty high (around 9 I think) on both clips and some minor tweaking to the low and high cuts on both as well.

• Members

Sounds like a great start!

I'd like to hear what it sounds like when you're hitting the strings harder, I'd like to hear more chunk in the pick attack.

Also, what kind of pickups are you using? I'm hearing some graininess that could either be from too much gain or passive pickups.

Otherwise I think you're totally on the right track as the base tone is sounding pretty awesome!

• Members

Sounds like a great start!

I'd like to hear what it sounds like when you're hitting the strings harder, I'd like to hear more chunk in the pick attack.

Also, what kind of pickups are you using? I'm hearing some graininess that could either be from too much gain or passive pickups.

Otherwise I think you're totally on the right track as the base tone is sounding pretty awesome!

Probably right about everything. The guitar was a Godin Solidac (maple body) with a Duncan Custom Custom on the bridge. I dialed in the tone based on 1 guitar track and doubled it up so I'm sure the gain should be pulled back a bit.

• Members

Thanks! Still not quite there yet. I'm going to try your PEQ trick tonight before band practice.

Go for it. I think its more of a live thing than a studio thing...but try it and let me know :)

BTW I love the 800 tones. If you wanna send me that patch when you get a sec id love it!

• Members

Go for it. I think its more of a live thing than a studio thing...but try it and let me know
:)

BTW I love the 800 tones. If you wanna send me that patch when you get a sec id love it!

That will work out great then since 90% of my Snax usage will be live stuff with a poweramp and guitar cab.

Didn't save it, unfortunately but I'm pretty sure I could build it again pretty quickly. I'm I remember right it's pretty much....

TS808 - Level all the way up, gain all the way down, everything else stock.

into

Brit800 - Master at around 5-6, gain 9-10, lows and highs at 5, mids at 5, dampening at about 9.5, low and high pass were tweaked slightly but not too far off from stock

into

4x12 V30 - Everything stock

• Members

Both of 'em (just the guitar tracks). Did you record bass? If you don't have one, use the "pitch" block and step it down an octave so you can record one with yer geetar.

No , I didn't.

I do have a bass but I am quite lazy.... thats not a bad idea...

• Members

Sounds cool man.

Got an Axe last week as well, having fun finding different tones from it. Haven't tried the brit 800 much, but the Marsha HBE does an awesome marshall sound.

I've been using some of Ola Englund's cab impulses as well, to my ears they work a bit better than the stock ones with high gain models. They are available from the comments in this video

Archived